TWO teenagers have been sentenced to three years in detention for the possession of a sawn-off shotgun at Knocklisheen Road on December 2, last year. First cousins, 17-year-old David McCarthy of 87 Cliona Park, Moyross and 18-year-old Noel Stanners of 49 Shanabooly Road, Ballynanty Beg, had pleaded guilty to the possession of the weapon after gardai caught the two red handed.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Limerick Circuit Court heard from John O’Sullivan, counsel for the State, that the two were “part of organised crime in Moyross and were found in possession of the deadly weapon connected with a bloody, violent and deadly feud in the city”.Arguments between counsel for the State, and defence counsels Brian McInerney and Mark Nicholas on the relevance of the background, were conducted before Judge Carroll Moran refused to exclude it from the case, as it was felt it was relevant to the proceedings.The court heard that the two had the weapon, with cartridges, last year, but had pleaded guilty and accepted their responsibility in the matter.Judge Carroll Moran said that he would give discount to the sentence imposed due to their early pleas but that an aggravating factor was that both were caught in possession of a firearm that was related to a feud in the city.The Judge added that the “recognition of harm of guns in society” must be realised, and due to the very serious nature of the offence, detention was the only suitable way of dealing with the teenagers.David McCarthy was sentenced to three years in detention, with three years supervision by the probation services after his release.Noel Stanners was sentenced to three years detention, with both serving their sentences in St Patrick’s Institution.Judge Carroll Moran lifted the reporting restrictions on minors for the case, as he said it was “very much in the public interest” to know who was in the possession of “deadly weapons”. Facebook Linkedin NewsLocal NewsCaught ‘red handed’ with sawn-off shotgunBy admin – November 2, 2010 1201 Advertisement Email Twitter WhatsApp Print Previous articleMotivating weight loss at every levelNext articleThree years for unlawful supply of heroin admin
Januzaj’s emergence has been one of the few bright spots in a miserable season for Manchester United. The 19-year-old winger has made 34 appearances, scoring four goals and impressing with his trickery and forward thinking. Press Association And Januzaj hopes by studying Real Madrid forward Ronaldo he can make similar improvements to the former United star and current world player of the year. The winger told Inside United: “I watch him a lot and try to do the same things that he does. “He is a very good player. I always look at him and watch his games as well and try to do what he is doing and remember what he did at Manchester United. “I have to work hard in the gym like he did because, when he came here, he wasn’t strong. But after a year or so he became really strong and could push people away. “I’m getting a bit stronger now due to the gym work.” Adnan Januzaj is bulking up in an attempt to emulate Cristiano Ronaldo.
Advertisement 77e3wNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs1oWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E6co4e( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) gixciWould you ever consider trying this?😱2jdomiCan your students do this? 🌚3fciRoller skating! Powered by Firework Spinner Ravichandran Ashwin and Indian Premier League (IPL) side Rajasthan Royals were involved in a “good banter” on New Year’s Eve, after the latter trolled Ashwin for his infamous ‘Mankad’ dismissal of Royals batsman Jos Buttler last campaign. Ashwin who also saw the funny side of this encounter, in return came up with a brilliant response as well. Advertisement Picture Credit: BBC SportIt all started when the twitter admin of the Royals, shared a photo of a ball box with ‘Mankad’ written on all of them. The Jaipur based franchise, who were the victim of that infamous dismissal, wittily tweeted, “No points for guessing who is adding this to their cart for #IPL2020”.Advertisement Ashwin himself enjoyed this friendly banter and quickly came up with a hilarious response.“Might well be a good collection for the non-strikers who meander along. Good banter nevertheless. Wish you all a happy 2020,” he replied.Last year, on March 25th, Rajasthan Royals welcomed Kings XI Punjab at home in their season-opener. Chasing a target of 185, the Royals were cruising at a point at 108-1 in the 12th over, when the former Kings XI captain stopped his bowling action and ran out Buttler as he (Buttler) left his ground at the non-striker’s end.The dismissal which is known as a ‘Mankad’ (named after India bowler Vinoo Mankad who ran out Australian batsman Bill Brown in a similar manner in 1947), is within the laws but is debatable as to whether it is within the spirit of the game.Naturally, the cricketing world was divided into two parts following the controversial incident; as some supported Ashwin, claiming what he did was legitimate, while the other-half heavily criticised the bowler for his conduct.However, it appears that Ashwin hasn’t forgot about that incident and made clear intentions for the upcoming IPL season. During an interactive session on Twitter earlier this week, a fan asked him: “Who are the potential batsmen you can Mankad this IPL?”, to which he replied: “Anyone that goes out of the crease”.Absolute savage from Ash! You may also like:Anil Kumble takes KXIP reins as head coach for IPL 2020R Ashwin admits he was transferred to Delhi from Punjab in IPL after failing to deliver as captain Advertisement
There was something a little out of the norm happening at Trafalgar Middle School Thursday as a bunch of scary characters showed up for class.It was a Halloween for the ages at the Uphill-based school.Mallard’s Source for sport would like to salute all the students who made Halloween 2013 at Trafalgar just a little more enjoyable with Team of the Week accolades.
Letterkenny Institute of Technology (LYIT) is pleased to announce the launch of the Certificate in Access Studies Summer Programme 2019.This four-week full-time programme will run from Monday 1 July to Friday 26 July and is geared towards adult learners and school leavers interested in progressing to third level study.Learners on this programme will have an opportunity to study Information Communications Technology, Learning Skills and Mathematics. The programme is available free-of-charge and is also available to Leaving Certificate Applied (LCA) students with 160 credits.This programme is the perfect fit for people keen to kick-start their third level journey and may be of interest to people that lack the confidence to take the first step on the education ladder.The programme is based at the Letterkenny campus and is available for the first time as a summer study option. The programme is being offered during the summer to accommodate the growing demand for programmes that meet the needs of the region.This ‘gateway’ programme supports adult learners transition into third level education. The Access Studies programme has been the foundation for many student success stories. One such example is Cathal McGinley. Cathal began his third level journey at LYIT in 2013/14 when he undertook the Certificate in Access Studies programme, he then progressed to the Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Sports Coaching and Performance, now the BSc (Hons) in Sports & Exercise, and has subsequently gone on to study a Masters in Exercise Physiology at the National University Galway (NUIG).Cathal is fulfilling his ambition and attributes his academic success to the Access Studies programme at LYIT.He commented: “Choosing to study on the Access Studies programme was a big leap of faith, I left school at 15 but this programme gave me confidence and belief in myself, and provided me with the opportunity to pursue my interest in Sport.“I look back now and realise that it was a brave thing to do.“I am now completing my Masters in Exercise Physiology in NUIG and I can’t wait to begin my career in this field,” he added. “The Access Studies programme is where my third-level journey began and I am so glad that I took the chance on myself.”This programme will cover a broad range of subjects and is an access programme into third level study. Students who successfully pass this course with an overall average of 50% or over will have the opportunity to progress to any course of their choice (except Nursing) at LYIT.Quotas will also apply in some instances.If you are interested in following in Cathal’s footsteps why not visit the LYIT website for further information on the Certificate in Access Studies. The deadline for receipt of completed applications is 12 noon Wednesday 26 June 2019.Kick-start your future, apply today to join the Access Studies programme at LYIT.Interested in returning to Third Level study? Choose ‘Access Studies’ this summer at LYIT was last modified: June 19th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:educationLetterkenny Institute of TechnologyLYIT
BRADENTON, Fla — The San Francisco 49ers suspended radio announcer Tim Ryan for Sunday’s game at New Orleans, after he said on a KNBR radio show that Baltimore quarterback Lamar Jackson’s dark skin gives him an advantage on the playing field.Ryan’s comments came during his weekly appearance on the “Murph and Mac” morning show, when he was describing Jackson’s ability in faking handoffs in last Sunday’s 20-17 win over the 49ers.“He’s really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you …
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The February 2016 Miami East-MVCTC FFA Members of the Month are Lane Mergler and Liza Bair. Lane is the son of Scott and Michelle Mergler of Troy. Liza is the daughter of Todd and Wendy Bair of Fletcher. Mergler and Bair are freshman at Miami East High School and first year members of the FFA.Lane’s Supervised Agricultural Experience Program consists of Lane’s Lures, a custom fishing lure business. He plans to market his lures through social media and at craft fairs such as Miami East’s Viking Fest on February 20, 2016. He is a member of the Program of Activities Committee of which he helped organize and attended the tour of Ohio State’s College of Food, Ag, and Environmental Sciences and Vet School.Liza’s Supervised Agricultural Experience program consists of Minnie Winnies, a homemade horse treat business. She plans to market her treats to fellow horse enthusiasts. Liza has participated in county and district Novice Parliamentary Procedures as the vice chair, Princess For a Day fundraiser for the March of Dimes, and Freshman Families. She is on the Scholarship Program of Activities Committee.Every month of the school year the Miami East FFA will select a student to be the FFA Member of the Month. The officer team will nominate one student that has been actively involved in the FFA chapter, school and community activities. If selected, the member will be recognized at the monthly FFA meeting, have their picture displayed in the Miami East Ag Room, and receive a special memento in celebration of their accomplishment.
PBA IMAGESCoach Norman Black could only heave a sigh of relief after Jeff Chan missed a potential game-winning three at the buzzer and Meralco escaped Phoenix, 92-90, Wednesday night at Smart Araneta Coliseum.“For us, it was a championship game,” the veteran mentor said as the Bolts stayed alive in the 2018 PBA Philippine Cup playoff race.ADVERTISEMENT 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting AFP official booed out of forum MERALCO 92 — Lanete 24, Hodge 17, Canaleta 9, Caram 9, Newsome 9, Tolomia 9, Hugnatan 6, Amer 5, Salva 4, Ballesteros 0, Baracael 0.PHOENIX 90 — Wilson 24, Wright 16, Jazul 13, Perkins 10, Chan 8, Mendoza 6, Dehesa 5, Intal 4, Kramer 4, Alolino 0, Chua 0, Eriobu 0.Quarters: 29-18, 54-40, 70-75, 92-90. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding White wins USA’s 100th winter gold, gets grilled by media LATEST STORIES Read Next NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Filipino athletes share their expectations for 2019 SEA Games PLAY LIST 03:04Filipino athletes share their expectations for 2019 SEA Games00:33Duterte mulling ban on plastic use02:02Chief Justice Peralta vows to lead by example, bares 10-point program01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Cliff Hodge finished with 17 markers, three rebounds, and three assists, but had to exit the game after incurring a knee injury on a collision with Willy Wilson late in the third quarter.“We really had to dig deep to get in this basketball game. It takes a lot of will power for the players to say, ‘No, we will win this game,’ and that’s what the players did today,” said Black as his side snapped their three-game losing slump.Wilson led Phoenix with a season-best 24 points and eight rebounds, while Matthew Wright got 16 markers and eight boards, but shot 0-of-5 from downtown and fouled out with 2:58 still left to play.The Fuel Masters remain at seventh place with their 4-5 card, but are now tied with TNT.The Scores:ADVERTISEMENT Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises MOST READ With their backs against the wall, the Bolts almost saw their season go down the drain after the Fuel Masters made a huge run in the third quarter to erase a 16-point lead and storm back again in the last 1:23 to cut the 92-87 advantage down to just two.Jaypee Mendoza forced a jumpball on Chris Newsome with 13.5 seconds left, giving Phoenix one last chance to steal the game, but the 2016 Rookie of the Year did just enough to nudge Chan in the waning seconds and force him to heave the desperation three.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“That was really a hard-fought game. I’m just happy with my guys staying in the game and kept fighting until the end,” remarked Black.Garvo Lanete stepped up for the undermanned Meralco with career second-best 24 points on a 4-of-9 shooting from threes to help his side rise to 3-6. Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH View comments
Touch Football Australia (TFA) CEO, Colm Maguire was thrilled to announce today on behalf of the TFA Board of Management, the extension of the agreement with Destination NSW and Coffs Harbour City Council to host the annual National Touch League (NTL) event in Coffs Harbour, from 2016-2018. The extension will see Coffs Harbour host six consecutive National Touch League events through to 2018 (from 2013), as well as the eagerly anticipated 2015 Federation of International Touch (FIT) Touch World Cup, late April-early May next year. Maguire described the announcement as “significant and very welcomed” the continued and highly valued investment by DNSW and Coffs Coast into presenting TFA’s elite Touch Football events, joined together with Destination NSW and Coffs Harbour City Council officials on the eve of this year’s X Blades NTL event and Elite Eight series. “Since our return last year to the wonderful Coffs Coast, we have forged even closer and stronger links with our key partners, Destination NSW and Coffs Harbour City Council in hosting our premier NTL event and Elite Eight series,” Maguire said. “The region and the C.Ex Coffs International Stadium and fields is ideally equipped and perfectly suited to our participants and overall requirements,” Maguire said.“Not surprisingly, we received overwhelmingly strong feedback from participants and stakeholders following the last year’s event. “The C.Ex Coffs International Stadium is particularly highly regarded by our Members; notwithstanding the outstanding facilities and amenity and natural beauty of the Coffs Harbour area. “It is through this validation and the ongoing investment and support of our key partners that will ensure a sustainable and enduring event here on the Coffs Coast for many years to come,” Maguire added. Member for Coffs Harbour, Andrew Fraser said: “I’m delighted the NSW Government has secured this national competition for another three years,” Mr Fraser said.“With Coffs Harbour also gearing up to host the 2015 Federation of International Touch (FIT) Touch World Cup in 2015, this reinforces the city’s position as the home of Touch Football in Australia and continues to encourage our elite footballers to visit. “Coffs Harbour is becoming an internationally recognised sporting destination, hosting a number of world renowned events. In 2015 we will have the FIT Touch World Cup, the Australasian leg of the FIA World Rally Championships and the Australian Surf Festival,” Mr Fraser said. The Mayor of Coffs Harbour, Denise Knight said: “We too are delighted with the news that Touch Football Australia will be continuing their partnership with us, through Destination NSW, to 2018. “This affords the region a wonderful opportunity to, not only further embrace our relationship with Touch Football Australia and showcase the sport of Touch Football and its athletes, but also realise and achieve significant economic benefits for local business houses and the region as a whole. “What this also does is put Coffs Harbour well and truly on the map as a fantastic venue to host major sporting events; and indeed leveraging the 2015 Federation of International Touch World Cup event next year, when the whole world comes to town.”Related Files140311_extension_of_tfa_dnsw-chcc_agreement_v1-0_1_-pdfRelated LinksNTL in Coffs to 2018