UK: Portsmouth-Based Warship Bids Farewell For Next Six Months

first_img View post tag: News by topic UK: Portsmouth-Based Warship Bids Farewell For Next Six Months View post tag: Six View post tag: UK View post tag: bids Portsmouth-based warship HMS St Albans yesterday (Sunday) set sail for a six-month operational deployment of the Indian Ocean and Arabian Gulf.The 4,900 tonne Type-23 frigate will be taking over duties from HMS Iron Duke and will be patrolling busy shipping lanes and providing security for the region alongside other coalition forces.Her work will include counter-terrorism and anti-piracy operations, exercises and operations with regional naval forces and wider regional engagement to support and promote the UK’s interests in the area.Since her return from the Middle East in August last year HMS St Albans has undertaken a number of tasks including a period of training off the coast of Plymouth and Scotland to prepare her for this deployment.Commanding Officer of HMS St Albans, Commander Tom Sharpe, said:“HMS St Albans has spent the last five months preparing for this deployment and is now ready to deliver.”“Influence will be our key output; whether that is patrolling the high seas to reassure or escort, actively looking for acts of smuggling or piracy, training or exercising with other navies or engaging in diplomatic efforts from alongside.”“Given the political climate in our anticipated operating area, or indeed the Eastern Mediterranean before we even get there, we must be prepared to cover the full gamut of naval tasking from routine to high intensity operations and be able to switch between them with traditional flexibility. HMS St Albans sails today ready to do just that.”The crew varies from young sailors who will be sailing for their first deployment outside of UK waters to the more experienced sea dogs who are in their 22nd year of service and know the region well.[mappress]Source: royalnavy, June 7, 2011; View post tag: months June 7, 2011 View post tag: Navalcenter_img Back to overview,Home naval-today UK: Portsmouth-Based Warship Bids Farewell For Next Six Months View post tag: Navy View post tag: Portsmouth-Based View post tag: Warship View post tag: next View post tag: Farewell Share this articlelast_img read more

Press release: Advice for drivers as thousands plot course for Cosford air show

first_img We’re reminding road users to plan ahead and allow extra time for their journeys with roads leading to the event likely to be very busy, particularly the M54 westbound and the M6. We’d also advise people to check our traffic and travel information channels before setting off. The sell-out ticket-only event, which this year celebrates 100 years of the RAF, takes place at Cosford on the Staffordshire and Shropshire border, on Sunday (10 June 2018).Around 60,000 people are expected to attend with 14,000 vehicles booked into the event car parks.Highways England is advising motorists to leave plenty of extra time to travel as the local area is expected to start getting busy from as early as 7.30am with the peak period from 8am onwards and again from 4.30pm to 8.30pm.Frank Bird, West Midlands emergency planning officer for Highways England, said: Motorists travelling from Birmingham are advised to use the M54 to junction 3 and follow the signs.Those travelling from Shrewsbury before 10.30am should use M54 junction 4 and follow signs, after which people should follow the event signing.Highways England provides live traffic information via its website, local and national radio travel bulletins, electronic road signs and mobile platforms, such as Android and iPhone apps.General enquiriesMembers of the public should contact the Highways England customer contact centre on 0300 123 5000.Media enquiriesJournalists should contact the Highways England press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.last_img read more

Press release: Japan will “spare no effort to support the UK” in joining the CPTPP

first_imgJapanese Cabinet Minister Toshimitsu Motegi has welcomed the UK’s recent announcement that it is looking to seek potential accession to the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP), saying Japan would “spare no efforts to support the UK” in a meeting with Dr Liam Fox, international trade secretary, this morning.Dr Liam Fox met Motegi, who is responsible for CPTPP, as part of a visit to Japan, the UK’s closest partner in Asia.The UK and Japan are like-minded advocates for global free trade, and building on our existing relationship with Japan is a key element of delivering the UK’s first independent trade policy for over 40 years as we leave the European Union.This is Dr Fox’s first visit to Asia following his launch of a consultation on potentially joining CPTPP, and his welcoming this month’s signature of the EU-Japan Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA). Japan accounts for nearly half of the CPTPP’s GDP, and is the UK’s fifth largest trading partner with total trade worth £28 billion, up by nearly 15% in 2017.Dr Fox is also beating the drum for British businesses based in Japan, meeting a range of business leaders and the British Chambers of Commerce Japan. Further, he is highlighting the value of Japanese investment in the UK, in light of the huge and job-creating investments made in the last year by the likes of Hitachi, Toyota and Mitsubishi Corp.International Trade Secretary, Dr Liam Fox said: As we set our own trade policy for the first time in over 40 years, the government is determined to break new ground by putting the UK at the heart of the world’s fastest growing regions, like Asia. That’s why I’m visiting Japan, our fifth largest trading partner, and meeting Prime Minister Abe and colleagues, British businesses and Japanese investors to take our trading relationship to the next level and deliver a new framework for free and open UK-Japan trade. These talks are vital in putting the country at the heart of the Asia-Pacific, a region that will be the engine of global growth in the twenty-first century. Dr Fox welcomed the recent EU-Japan EPA with Theresa May and Prime Minister Abe agreeing to work quickly to establish a new partnership between Japan and the UK based on the final terms of the agreement. Ensuring certainty to businesses in both countries is something they have made clear is a top priority.The 11 members of CPTPP accounted for £82 billion of UK trade in 2016, more than the Netherlands, France or China. The economies of existing members are diverse, spanning a region which is a driving force of global economic growth.last_img read more

ExxonMobil to take $20 billion writedown, cut development spending

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Bloomberg:Exxon Mobil Corp. is about to incur the biggest writedown in its modern history as the giant U.S. oil and gas producer reels from this year’s collapse in energy prices.Exxon — traditionally far more reluctant to cut the book value of its business than other oil majors — on Monday disclosed it will write down North and South American natural gas fields by $17 billion to $20 billion. That could make it the industry’s steepest impairment since BP Plc’s 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill that killed 11 workers and fouled the sea for months. Meanwhile, capital spending will be drastically reduced through 2025.The announcement comes in the waning days of a grueling year for Chief Executive Officer Darren Woods, who’s resorted to laying off thousands of employees, curtailing retirement benefits and canceling ambitious growth projects. The former refinery manager, who stepped into the top job in 2017, has been forced to recast his seven-year, $210 billion blueprint for rejuvenating Exxon’s aging portfolio of crude and gas holdings.In addition to dropping vast swaths of gas assets from the development queue, Woods is capping capital spending at $25 billion a year through 2025, a $10 billion reduction from his pre-pandemic target.Exxon has been warning shareholders since October that its gas assets were at risk of significant impairment. Previously, the energy titan’s largest writedown was for about $3.4 billion in 2016, according to Bloomberg Intelligence. Assets removed from Exxon’s development plans include so-called dry gas resources in Appalachia and the Rocky Mountains, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, as well as western Canada and Argentina, the company said. It will attempt to sell “less strategic” assets.The writedown stems from former CEO Rex Tillerson’s decision a decade ago to buy XTO Energy for $35 billion rather than spend years building an in-house shale business. At the time, the outlook for North American gas prices was bright because demand was rising faster than supply. Instead, fracking was a victim of its own success, unleashing so much gas that it overwhelmed demand and the infrastructure needed to handle it, resulting in a prolonged stretch of depressed prices.[Kevin Crowley]More: Exxon faces historic writedown after energy markets implode ExxonMobil to take $20 billion writedown, cut development spendinglast_img read more

Repsol’s new strategic plan earmarks 5.5 billion euros for low-carbon generation

first_imgRepsol’s new strategic plan earmarks 5.5 billion euros for low-carbon generation FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享S&P Global Market Intelligence ($):Repsol SA has unveiled a new strategic plan for the next five years aimed at accelerating its energy transition while boosting shareholder value, according to a Nov. 26 news release. The Spanish integrated oil and gas company said it will decarbonize its asset portfolio and establish a new operating model as it aims to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050.The strategic plan will have two periods. For the first two years, Repsol plans to focus on ensuring financial strength and extending its efficiency and competitivity programs by prioritizing efficiency, investment cuts and optimization of capital, along with projects to lead the energy transition, according to the company. From 2022 onward, the company will shift its focus to the acceleration of growth.Repsol intends to invest a total of €18.3 billion between 2021 and 2025, of which €5.5 billion, or 30%, will be spent on low-carbon businesses. As part of the strategic plan, Repsol has also reorganized itself into four business areas: upstream, industrial, customer and low-carbon generation.Through its low-carbon generation unit, Repsol will target a generation capacity of 7.5 GW by 2025 and 15 GW by 2030. It will develop a portfolio of projects that will grow more than 500 MW annually between 2020 and 2025. The industrial unit is in charge of transitioning its seven industrial sites in Spain, Portugal and Peru to multi-energy hubs, as well as reaching renewable hydrogen production of 400 MW by 2025 with the goal of exceeding 1.2 GW in 2030.Repsol aims to generate €4.5 billion of free cash flow between 2021 and 2025 and cut emissions by 75% through 2025 through its upstream unit.Repsol committed to long-term emissions reduction goals as early as 2019. Repsol previously laid out plans to reduce its carbon intensity indicator by 10% by 2025, 20% by 2030, 40% by 2040 and net-zero emissions by 2050, from a 2016 baseline. The new strategic plan looks to cut carbon intensity by 12% in 2025, 25% in 2030, and 50% in 2040.[Dan Carino Jr.]More ($): Repsol unveils new strategic plan to accelerate energy transitionlast_img read more

Second DCA JNC seeks applicants

first_img Second DCA JNC seeks applicants Applications are being accepted to fill a vacancy on the Second DCA created by the retirement of Judge Oliver L. Green, effective November 19.Applicants must live in the territorial jurisdiction of the court, be registered voters and been a member of the Bar in good standing for the preceding 10 years.Application forms are available from F. Wallace Pope, Jr., JNC Chair, 911 Chestnut St., P.O. Box 1368, Clearwater 33757-1368, telephone (727) 461-1818. Applications also may be downloaded from The Florida Bar’s Web site at www.FLABAR.org.Ten copies of the completed application and attachments must be received by Pope no later than 5 p.m. July 31. July 15, 2002 Regular News Second DCA JNC seeks applicantslast_img read more

The morning after

first_imgby: Henry MeierJust as you should have a plan to rapidly recover your credit union operations in the event of a natural disaster, so too should you have a plan to rapidly get up and running in the event your credit union is victimized by a cyberattack. That’s my main take-away from a joint guidance issued yesterday by the FFEIC, a group of financial regulators that of course includes the NCUA.In addition to underscoring the importance of cyberattack recovery, the regulators are using the guidance to emphasize the importance of ongoing assessments and monitoring of your existing computer systems. For example, you are expected to maintain an ongoing risk assessment system that considers new and evolving threats and conduct regular audits to review who has access to vital systems.Now for some more general points, in light of the Supreme Court’s recent decision upholding the right of the Department of Labor to reinterpret existing law simply by issuing a new letter, guidances of all types, including those issued by the FFEIC, are as binding on your credit union as if a new regulation had just been promulgated. The FFEIC typically claims that it is doing nothing more than synthesizing existing requirements, but at the very least make reviewing this memo a compliance priority. continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

I am not the best mom, but a mom with purpose

first_imgI am not the best mom. I’m a good mom and a strong mom. I’m a take no-shit kind of mom. I say things – inappropriate things, snarky things, tongue-in-cheek kinds of things. I go my own direction in life. At times perhaps not the right direction, but it’s always with a purpose, nonetheless. But two things I excel at, two lessons I speak of ALL THE TIME to my girls who are 12 and 9, are as follows:Number one: Be true to yourself.Number two: Be intentional.Number one is important for so many reasons and, as simple as it sounds it always isn’t easy. Humans by nature are judgmental and assuming. It can be difficult to hold your ground or speak your mind when it is against the grain or against the norm. It’s difficult at 46 and even more so at 9 or 12. I tell my girls, shoulders back, chin up and go rock whatever (shit) it is you’re about to do (within reason and not illegal obviously).Number two is just as important and really goes hand-in-hand with number one. In today’s day and age of digital first communications, whether it be via email, lobby screens, text messages, social media, or images, being intentional to your brand is vital. Your brand can be your personal image and what you choose for people to see about you. It can also be the image of your credit union or whatever industry/company you represent. continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

Five substitutes: Premier League chief Richard Masters does not expect reintroduction of rule | Football News

first_img– Advertisement – Premier League chief executive Richard Masters does not expect the reintroduction of five substitutes for the “foreseeable future”.While answering questions from MPs on a range of issues regarding football’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, Masters said: “It’s been voted on twice. I don’t see it changing for the foreseeable future.”- Advertisement – England’s top flight is the only major league in the world not using the new five-sub rule, and there remains mixed feeling on the issue throughout the division despite its reintroduction being voted down twice by the majority of the 20 clubs.Top managers including Jurgen Klopp, Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourinho support the advent of having five subs available – and they were backed up by the PFA, who want the rule introduced on health and safety grounds, on Monday.However, Sheffield United are among those to have rejected it, with the club’s chief executive Stephen Bettis telling Sky Sports News this week: “We remain suspicious that big clubs simply want to be able to sub-off players to rest them to keep them fresh.- Advertisement – “Of course the bigger the club, the stronger the bench. Any change of rules mid-season will clearly affect the integrity of the league.”Sky Sports News has surveyed 17 of the 20 Premier League clubs and eight say they are still against it, while nine are in favour, with two of those having changed their mind on the issue in recent weeks.Those figures suggest that, if the idea was voted on again this season, it would be unlikely go ahead.- Advertisement – Brighton chief executive Paul Barber would be in favour, telling their local newspaper the Argus: “We are very much in the camp that we feel five substitutions suits us. It suits (manager) Graham (Potter), it suits our particular game management systems and the way Graham likes to use his squad and change systems during games.“We voted positively twice on the idea and if there was to be another vote we would vote positively again. We are not trying to sway the opinion of anyone else. The idea of players benefitting at this time now an intense fixture schedule is, of course, true. What we don’t know is to what extent and whether that favours a particular club over another.”last_img read more

Verwer: the wizard from Oz

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img