Whither the Mobile Psychosocial Unit?

first_imgDear Editor,After the initial hullabaloo, we have hardly heard anything about the Education Ministry’s Mobile Psychosocial Unit (MPU). So we ask, is this Unit only servicing students in school settings or all students wherever they may be? For example, the children of murdered victim Zali Sugrim and the perpetrator, Ryan Sugrim, attend various schools but none so far has received counselling through the Mobile Psychosocial Unit.In fact, as far as we are aware, children of murder, suicide and abused victims in Guyana have never been offered counselling through the MPU, even though almost all of them attend schools in various parts of the country. Since the Unit was set up, The Caribbean Voice (TCV) has handled many cases for which children who attend schools have needed counselling but none of them has ever been counselled by the MPU. In almost every case, TCV has had to provide the counselling or reach out to various social workers and certified counsellors to do so.So the question remains: whither the Education Ministry’s Mobile Psychosocial Unit (MPU) and who are the trained professionals within this Unit? Surely it has not become like the Suicide Helpline, which claims to be doing great work but has refused to provide supporting stats.Sincerely,The Caribbean Voicelast_img read more

UL Board of Trustees Endorses New Acting Provost

first_imgPrior to his appointment, Dr. Wiles had been serving as Vice President for Institutional Research and Development.According to communications from the UL Board of Trustees, issues raised by the faculty union and students have interconnections, and Board is desirous of a full report from the mediation investigation committee, in order to consider all sides of the complaints.The board said the mediation investigation committee is expected to submit its report on January 31, 2014 following which decisions surrounding the complaints made, will be reached.It therefore called on the faculty union to return to classes as being announced by the UL Administration to continue academic activities that have been suspended for about two months now.The UL Administration on January 20, 2014, released to the public that classes were resuming on January 21, 2014.However, a tour on the Capitol Hill campus on Tuesday showed that classes were vacant without students and teachers.The administration could not clarify why instructors could not go to class as was instructed, but some independent sources told this paper that the faculty members are contemplating the full resignation of Dr. Brownell.With the shield of “Leave of absence” still protecting her, doubt still looms, regarding whether instructors will adhere to the Board of Trustees and the UL Administration’s order that they return to classes.Meanwhile, in a release issued the Daily Observer, Tuesday evening, the UL Administration said it regrets that classes did not resume on January 21, as was announced. “However, negotiations with the parties are ongoing. Meanwhile, the administration is appealing to all stakeholder to remain calm as efforts are being made to resume classes. Furthermore, students are advised to remain off the campuses until further notice.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Following the suspension of classes at the state-run University of Liberia and calls for resignation of Wede Elliot-Brownell and resumption of classes, the Board of Trustees has endorsed the appointment of Dr. Walter T. Wiles as Acting Vice President for Academic Affairs & Provost.Dr. Brownell remains on a leave of absence.last_img read more

Recent Kidnapping and Assault Connected to Drug Trafficking, Police Say

first_imgThe Fort St. John RCMP now says that an unpaid drug debt is at the root of a kidnapping and assault that occurred earlier this week in the city. Police say the victim of the assault owed money to a group of cocaine traffickers when he was accosted at a local pub. The man was allegedly beaten with weapons and is now in hospital under an assumed name, being treated for non-life-threatening injuries. RCMP have refused to specify the type of weapons used in the assault. However, they have said that the weapons were similar to those used in attacks perpetrated by the Independent Soldiers, a Vancouver-based gang. Three men have been arrested in connection with the assault and police are still looking for others.- Advertisement –last_img read more

Fort St. John loses air mail service

first_imgFort St. John businesses and residents will now have to get by without direct air mail.Air Canada says that Canada Post has terminated a longstanding contract with the carrier for the delivery of air mail, but Canada Post says Air Canada terminated the contract.The $35 million dollar contract provided air mail delivery to several communities across the country, including Fort St. John.- Advertisement -Air Canada asked for an additional $15 million for its services this year. Air Canada says the cost increase is the result of surging fuel and transportation prices.Canada Post spokesperson Lillian Au says they have made alternative arrangements for Fort St. John mail. [asset|aid=320|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=9587c92f43fdc83e62db003174310fa9-Lillian Au – Canada Post_1_Pub.mp3] Advertisement Mail will now be sent by air from Vancouver to Prince George and then sent by Truck the rest of the way.last_img read more

Beetle to make it through winter

first_imgHere’s one we’ve heard before regarding the current cold weather impact on the Mountain Pine Beetle….too little, too late. Staffan Lindgren, of the University of Northern B-C in Prince George says, the beetle larvae have already produced their natural anti-freeze, making them less susceptible to the cold. He adds, while temperatures around Prince George, like here in the Peace, have been below minus 30 in recent days, most beetle larvae can withstand minus-40 degrees for short periods.- Advertisement –last_img read more

Girl missing from Peace River, Alberta

first_imgPhoto: Kassandra Pollard went missing from her Peace River residence on Sunday morning – photo courtesy of the Peace Regional RCMP.The Peace Regional RCMP from Alberta are looking for the public’s assistance in locating a 14 year-old girl.On Monday, the RCMP was notified that Kassandra Pollard had gone missing from her Peace River residence early Sunday. She has had no contact with her family since then, though police are not suspecting foul play. – Advertisement -Pollard is described as a Caucasian of slim build, weighing approximately 54 kg (120 lbs), with brown, shoulder length hair and blue eyes. Police are asking the public to be on the lookout for the girl, who may be in the Peace River, Manning, or High Level areas. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Peace River RCMP detachment at 780-624-6677 or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.last_img read more

Two ex-Apple execs facing SEC penalties

first_imgThe two former officers each personally received several million dollars in unreported compensation as a result of the backdating, according to the SEC, which is seeking penalties and fines against Heinen, as well as a court order barring her from serving as an officer or director of a public company. Under Anderson’s settlement, the former CFO did not admit any wrongdoing. Marc Fagel, an assistant regional director of the SEC in San Francisco, called the charges “serious.” The civil lawsuit was filed at the U.S. District Court of Northern California in San Jose. Heinen and Anderson “were entrusted to ensure that accurate financial statements are shared with investors, and they failed to do that,” Fagel said. The SEC said it will not pursue any further action against Apple itself, partly because of its “swift” and “extraordinary” cooperation with the probe. The Cupertino-based company has also implemented new controls to prevent a recurrence of fraudulent conduct,” the SEC said. But the agency stopped short of saying its investigation was closed. Fagel declined to comment on whether further charges against Jobs or other company officials were possible. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The grants in question were a February 2001 grant of 4.8 million options to Apple’s executive team and a December 2001 grant of 7.5 million options to Jobs. Anderson’s attorney, Jerome Roth, issued a statement Tuesday saying the former CFO had warned Jobs of the implications of backdating the executive team’s grant. Roth said Anderson was reassured by Jobs that the board of directors had given the necessary approvals, and thus proceeded with the conclusion that the grant was being properly handled. The SEC concluded the grant was fraudulently accounted for and that Anderson should have noticed Heinen’s efforts to backdate the executive team’s grant. He failed to take steps to ensure that Apple’s financial statements were correct, the SEC said. Apple’s spokesman Steve Dowling declined to comment on Anderson’s claims but pointed to how the SEC named only two former officers in its lawsuit Tuesday. “It did not file (charges) against Apple or any current employees,” Dowling said. He declined further comment. Anderson and Heinen both left Apple last year as the backdating scandal was unraveling. SAN JOSE – The Securities and Exchange Commission filed civil charges Tuesday against two former Apple Inc. officers over their alleged roles in backdating stock options. One of them immediately settled the case and cast some blame on Apple’s CEO Steve Jobs. Former Chief Financial Officer Fred Anderson, 62, has agreed to pay about $3.5 million in fines and penalties to settle, the SEC said. The case against former general counsel Nancy Heinen, 50, will proceed. Her attorneys have vowed to fight the charges. The commission accused Heinen of participating in fraudulent backdating and altering company records to conceal the fraud. The charges were in connection with two large options grants that caused the company to underreport its expenses by nearly $40 million, the SEC said. last_img read more

Alli eager to take a penalty against Colombia

first_imgSouthgate has had his players practising penalties since March, while also deploying video analysts and psychometric tests in an attempt to buck the trend.Alli says he wants to step up.“We’re confident and looking to change things,” he said at England’s training base in Repino on Saturday.“Everyone wants to step up and help the team if we can. If I’m on the pitch, I want to take one. I’ll ask to try and take one.”Alli is expected to return to the starting line-up against Colombia, having sustained a thigh strain in the opening game against Tunisia and sat out against both Panama and Belgium.He will be up against a familiar foe in Moscow, given his Tottenham teammate Davinson Sanchez plays for Colombia in central defence. Sanchez’s primary focus will be stopping Harry Kane.“Obviously I hope Harry comes out on top,” Alli said. “Davinson’s a great player, a great guy as well. It’s hard not to support him but, as players, there are no friendships on the pitch.“He’s a great player, but no player is perfect. We know how he plays, we know his strengths, and we’ll look to try and exploit his very few weaknesses.”England have been pitched against Colombia after a much-changed team lost to Belgium on Friday, meaning they surrendered top spot in Group G.Southgate has been criticised for conceding momentum ahead of the knockout stages, but Alli disagrees.“Firstly we have to make it clear the whole squad is the ‘A team’. We’re in this together,” Alli said.“The boys played well. The manager made a decision and we all back him. We didn’t lose any momentum. We’re all fighting and raring to go, and can’t wait for the next game.”If England overcome Colombia, they could benefit from a kinder draw in the quarter-finals, where Switzerland or Sweden would lie in wait.In the top half, they would have met Japan and, if victorious, Brazil or Mexico in the last eight.“That’s very dangerous (to think like that),” Alli said. “We have to approach every game as if we’re playing the best side in the world.“Colombia have great talent and are a dangerous side and we have to be switched on to them, nothing more.”John Stones trained on Saturday morning, easing fears the defender injured his calf against Belgium.The only absentees were Ruben Loftus-Cheek, who completed his own personal conditioning session, and Fabian Delph, who has flown home for the birth of his third child.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000England midfielder Dele Alli says the team are confident ahead of their World Cup last-16 match against Colombia © AFP / Paul ELLISSAINT PETERSBURG, Russian Federation, Jun 30 – Dele Alli will put his hand up for a penalty if England are taken to a shootout by Colombia in their World Cup last-16 match on Tuesday.England have lost six times out of seven on spot-kicks at major tournaments, with their coach Gareth Southgate guilty of missing against Germany at Euro 96.last_img read more

Roma confirm signing of Liverpool and Spurs target

first_img REVEALED RANKED Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star L’#ASRoma conferma di aver trovato un accordo di massima con il Bordeaux per il trasferimento del calciatore Malcom. L’operazione sarà ratificata in seguito al buon esito delle visite mediche pic.twitter.com/iQcKT6kCPn— AS Roma (@OfficialASRoma) July 23, 2018 Latest Transfer News LATEST Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti LIVING THE DREAM Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer Roma were left with plenty of cash to spend after selling Alisson to Liverpool for over £60m last week and made Malcom a top priority.The side announced the signing on Monday with a brief statement which read:“Confirmation of having found a rough deal with Bordeaux for the transfer of the footballer Malcom.“The transaction will be ratified as a result of the successful medical visits.” Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ center_img IN DEMAND Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January targets moving on Malcom netted 12 times in Ligue 1 last season targets TOP WORK 1 AS Roma and Bordeaux have confirmed that a fee has been agreed for the transfer of 21-year-old Malcom to the Italian capital.Despite interest from Liverpool, Tottenham – who the Serie A side play in a pre-season friendly – and Everton among a host of other European sides, I Giallorossi have emerged victorious in the race for the Brazilian’s signature. three-way race Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland Chelsea confident of beating Man United and Liverpool to Sancho signinglast_img read more

‘Alvaro Morata is struggling, water is wet’

first_img Tottenham v Brighton LIVE: talkSPORT commentary and team news for Boxing Day opener who plays? possible xi Tottenham predicted XI to face Brighton with Mourinho expected to make big changes 1 Morata couldn’t convert from the spot Pre-season can be a great opportunity to regain some much-needed confidence after a disappointing season.So when Chelsea were awarded a penalty against Arsenal in Dublin, Alvaro Morata immediately volunteered to take it. Morata has easily been Arsenal’s best defender tonight, sweeping up Chelsea’s through balls and harmlessly booting it out of danger. Brilliant. 👏— Mike Sanz (@mikesanz19) August 1, 2018 Best clips, calls and talkSPORT moments of 2019, feat Hearn, McCoist and more How Man United could line up for Newcastle clash – will Pogba start? If Morata ever scores 20+ in his career from this day, I don’t care if it’s at Scunthorpe, I’ll tattoo his name on me. Won’t happen.— CarefreeDaily. 🚬 (@CarefreeDailyFC) August 1, 2018 gameday LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS Get Florentino a statue outside Bernabéu, how on earth did he manage to get €70m for Morata— Ryan. (@Rygista) August 1, 2018 Petr Cech saved.From that point onwards, the Spaniard resembled every bit of the man who couldn’t finish even the simplest of chances last season.As you can imagine, Blues fans, whose side lost to the Gunners on penalties, were less than impressed: smart causal highlights Morata struggling. Water is wet.— CFC (@CFCWriter) August 1, 2018 How Arsenal could line up in Arteta’s first official game in charge – Ozil return? How Chelsea could line up against Southampton – what system will Lampard play? Morata just leave my club in peace.— Danny Just Danny (@dannydoes) August 1, 2018 Morata has the movement of Aguero and the finish of Emanuel Frimpong. It’s actually quite mesmerising to watch in a weird way.— Uber Chelsea FC 🏆 (@UberCheIseaFC) August 1, 2018 NEW ERA Dear United fans,Sorry for ever saying that Morata > Lukaku. It is very clearly not the case. Apologies again.Sincerely,Chelsea fans— ¹⁰ (@ClinicaIEden) August 1, 2018 Hudson-Odoi is singlehandedly trying to recreate Morata, but Morata be like, “nah, I prefer to struggle.”— Alex Goldberg (@AlexGoldberg_) August 1, 2018 Every current Premier League club’s best kit from the past decade possible standings ALTERED How the Premier League table could change after the Boxing Day fixtureslast_img read more