Saudi Arabia will enforce a round-the-clock nationwide curfew during the five-day Eid al-Fitr holiday later this month to fight the coronavirus, the interior ministry said Tuesday, as infections spike.The kingdom, which has reported the highest number of virus cases in the Gulf region, is scrambling to limit the spread of the deadly disease.A full lockdown will be reimposed around the country from May 23-27, the ministry said in a statement released by the official Saudi Press Agency. The period coincides with the Muslim festival that marks the end of the holy fasting month of Ramadan. Topics : Most parts of the kingdom were put under full lockdown following the outbreak, but last month the government relaxed the curfew between the hours of 9am and 5pm.Malls and retailers have been allowed to reopen, except in major hotspots including the holy city of Mecca — where confirmed cases have soared, despite a stringent lockdown.The health ministry said Tuesday the number of COVID-19 deaths had risen to 264 and confirmed infections to 42,925, while 15,257 people have recovered.In March, Saudi Arabia suspended the year-round “umrah” pilgrimage over fears of the disease spreading in Islam’s holiest cities. Authorities are yet to announce whether they will proceed with this year’s hajj — scheduled for late July — but they have urged Muslims to temporarily defer preparations for the annual pilgrimage.Last year, some 2.5 million faithful travelled to Saudi Arabia from across the world to participate in the hajj, which Muslims are obliged to perform at least once during their lifetime.The Arab world’s biggest economy has also closed cinemas and restaurants and halted flights as it attempts to contain the virus.King Salman has warned of a “more difficult” fight ahead against COVID-19, as the kingdom faces the double blow of virus-led shutdowns and crashing oil prices.
Family First NZ is a member of the Care AllianceMedia Release Care Alliance 27 August 2015The Care Alliance has welcomed the Health Select Committee’s terms of reference for considering a petition from the Voluntary Euthanasia Society.Spokesperson Matthew Jansen says that the terms of reference will allow all New Zealanders to be involved in considering what society’s response should be to people who express a wish to end their lives. “We believe that the best compassionate response to a person experiencing physical, emotional or psychological suffering is to surround them with love and provide them with the best possible care. Legalising euthanasia and assisted suicide (EAS) would give exactly the wrong message to vulnerable people feeling overwhelmed by their circumstances.”Mr Jansen said that the recent Research New Zealand poll1, which recorded a sharp drop in support for EAS following the Seales v Attorney-General case, showed that a more informed debate helps expose the practical problems with EAS. “The Select Committee can do all New Zealanders a great service by investigating the complex issues involved in suicide. We believe the evidence will show that EAS is both unnecessary and dangerous.”ENDS
Suggestions that Keane could join the Northern Irishman as his number two have been circulating for several days, and Press Association Sport understands that what would represent something of a dream team for many Ireland fans could become a reality if O’Neill cements his interest in the post by giving the Football Association of Ireland the answer they want. Sources close to the 61-year-old have indicated he is close to making his decision and that it will be positive, and the FAI Board is due to meet next week in the hope of rubber-stamping an appointment. However, the time-frame is uncertain with both O’Neill and Keane scheduled to head for Spain in their roles as ITV pundits for the Champions League clash Real Sociedad and Manchester United. Ireland face Latvia and Poland in friendlies later this month and the squad, which is yet to be announced, will meet up in Portmarnock a week on Monday. The FAI will hope to have the new manager in charge by then to start the process of preparing for the Euro 2016 qualification campaign, which gets under way in September next year. O’Neill has been out of football since being shown the door by Sunderland in March, while Keane parted company with Ipswich in January 2011. The former Black Cats boss has been the FAI’s preferred candidate all along, although Ray Houghton and high performance director Ruud Dokter were despatched to carry out an assessment of the available options. Mick McCarthy and Keane in his own right have also been heavily linked with the post, although the latter’s infamous bust-up with the former in Saipan has tended to colour his candidacy. However, FAI chief executive John Delaney has been careful not to rule out the ex-Manchester United and Ireland captain publicly, and it appears that the association is at least prepared to countenance employing him as O’Neill’s assistant should he take the job. There is little doubt that that particular scenario would excite the Irish public, who had grown weary of Giovanni Trapattoni’s pragmatism, and whatever else the pair offered, life would certainly not be dull. Martin O’Neill is edging closer to accepting the job of Ireland manager – and could yet bring Roy Keane with him. Press Association
Tom Hogan is looking forward to seeing Gordon Lord Byron bid to regain his crown in next month’s Betfred Sprint Cup at Haydock following another tremendous effort in France on Sunday. The seven-year-old proved he is as good as ever in the Prix Maurice de Gheest at Deauville, going down by just a length to this season’s star sprinter Muhaarar. The pair could clash again on Merseyside on September 5 in a race Gordon Lord Byron won in 2013 and finished second in last year and in 2012. Press Association Hogan said: “He ran a super race and you’d have to be happy with him. “He ran pretty well up to his best form. We know he’s capable of getting placed in these races and if we keep having a poke with him, hopefully one might come his way. “He was racing away from them in the middle of the track and when he hit the front, because he’s getting on a bit, he think he’s done enough. “I don’t want to put cheek pieces on him as he’s so genuine. He just likes to get up close and personal with the other horses and if he can do that he’ll give them a battle. “He was beaten by the best sprinter in Europe and we’re happy to take him on again. If we’re second to him again, we’ll be happy. “Haydock is still very much the plan. He’s in rude health and if we can keep him that way, we might get a result before the year is out.”
Vice President Mike Pence and wife Karen’s COVID-19 tests came back negative, his press secretary said on Saturday night.Pence announced during Saturday’s task force briefing that he and the second lady were being tested for the coronavirus after one of his staff members tested positive for the virus.The staffer was last at the White House on Monday but had no contact with Pence or President Trump. The person had “mild cold symptoms,” but “he’s doing well,” according to Pence.The vice president said the nation was in day six of the “15 Days to Slow the Spread” program. Dr. Anthony Fauci added that the administration’s efforts to contain the spread of the virus are working, but Americans need to continue following the 15-day guidelines. Click here to learn about the recommendations.Pence said that 195,000 Americans who are symptomatic have now been tested as coronavirus testing becomes more widely available across the United States. Of those tested, he said that 19,343 people have been diagnosed with the virus.As of Sunday morning, a tally by Johns Hopkins University shows that more than 26,900 cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in the U.S., with at least 349 deaths associated with the virus. Over half of the states in the country and Washington D.C. have now reported at least one death from the respiratory illness.The U.S. closed its borders to nonessential travelers from Canada and Mexico starting at midnight on Saturday.This weekend, the Senate is working on an economic stabilization package expected to cost more than $1 trillion. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is proposing direct payments of $1,200 per person and $2,400 for couples amid the pandemic.During Saturday’s briefing, President Trump told reporters that he believes congressional leaders are “getting very close” to a deal on the economic recovery package.“We’re getting along with Republicans and Democrats and independents and liberals and conservatives and actually it’s a very nice thing to see,” said Trump.
(REUTERS) – Soccer’s governing bodies lack the diversity needed to understand the feelings of players suffering racial abuse, Anderlecht player-manager Vincent Kompany said yesterday.Former Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku, who joined Inter Milan last month, was subjected to racist abuse in a 2-1 Serie A win at Cagliari on Sunday and urged federations and social media to do more to fight racism.His Belgian compatriot Kompany believes the problem lies with the game’s governing bodies, including FIFA and UEFA.“It goes back to who is expected to make a decision on these issues, and it’s in these organisations that the problems lie,” former Manchester City skipper Kompany told Sky Sports. “The real racism lies in the fact none of these institutions have representatives that can actually understand what Romelu is going through.”Kompany has previously said that diversity in club boardrooms and institutions of power can help tackle racism more effectively than just punishing individual offenders. “If you don’t have diversity in places of power like boardrooms then you can’t have the right decisions in terms of sanctions – it’s as simple as that,” he added.An Inter Milan fan group, Curva Nord, said Cagliari’s supporters were only showing Lukaku “respect” when they aimed monkey chants at him. “We understand that it could have seemed racist to you but it’s not like that,” the group said in an open letter to Lukaku.“In Italy we use some ‘ways’ only to ‘help our teams’ and to try to make our opponents nervous, not for racism but to mess them up … we are not racist and so are not the Cagliari fans.“Please consider this attitude of Italian fans as a form of respect for the fact they are afraid of you for the goals you might score against their teams and not because they hate you or they are racist.
Related Stories Syracuse midfielder Hayes McGinley suspended indefinitely after punching 2 people, arrestSliders employee not charged after knocking Hayes McGinley unconscious during March 14 incidentMan who was punched by Hayes McGinley plans to speak against him at next court date Published on April 14, 2015 at 2:17 pm Contact Jessica: email@example.com | @JessicaIannetta Syracuse men’s lacrosse player Hayes McGinley’s court case was delayed until next week following a brief appearance in city court Tuesday afternoon.McGinley, a redshirt freshman midfielder, is facing charges stemming from an incident on Marshall Street last month where police said he punched two people.Wearing a blue suit and green tie, McGinley arrived in court flanked by his parents and lawyers. After a short consultation with the judge, his case was adjourned until next Tuesday at 1:30 p.m.McGinley, 20, was arrested on March 14 and indefinitely suspended the next day from the lacrosse team for an unspecified violation of team rules. Police said McGinley, who was drunk, tried to get into the car of an Insomnia Cookie delivery worker on Marshall Street. An argument ensued in which McGinley punched the delivery worker and another co-worker, police said.After McGinley punched the delivery worker, a Sliders employee punched McGinley, knocking him to the ground. Police did not arrest the Sliders employee after determining he used force to defend another individual, which is legal in New York state.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textMcGinley was charged with two counts of harassment in the second degree, a violation.Harassment in the second degree is punishable by a maximum $250 fine and/or a maximum of 15 days in jail.McGinley’s lawyer, Eric Jeschke, declined to comment on Tuesday.After the incident last month, Jeschke said McGinley had no recognition of what he was doing and thought his friends were in the delivery worker’s car.— Asst. Sports Editor Sam Blum contributed reporting to this article. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+
Donald Trump, the Republican Party’s presidential candidate, is ahead of Democratic party candidate Hillary Clinton for the first time since the beginning of August, according to the Los Angeles Times/USC Dornsife Presidential Election Daybreak poll results released on Monday.The poll, which has been ongoing since July 10, shows that as of Monday, Trump has the support of 44.6 percent of those polled, while Clinton has the support of 43.5 percent.Support for Trump had declined from 44.6 percent on the Aug. 4 to 42 percent on the 14th, after which it started slowly climbing to surpass Clinton on the 20th.Last week, Trump’s campaign manager Paul Manafort resigned. Since then, his successor, Kellyanne Conway, has stated that Trump is reconsidering his stance on illegal immigrants, which has been the backbone of his campaign since he started his presidential campaign.Among millennials, Clinton leads by a 0.5 percent margin, while Trump leads among those aged 35-64 and those 65 years of age and up.Additionally, support for Trump is higher among those without a college degree in comparison to those who attended and graduated from college.The poll “is a probability survey that will provide a best estimate of how America plans to vote in the November election,” according to Dornsife News. It is part of the “Understanding America Study” currently carried out by the Dornsife Center for Economic and Social Research, the Jesse M. Unruh Institute of Politics and the Los Angeles Times.Participants in the poll are randomly selected. They represent the United States’ diverse demographics.Every day, participants in the poll answer the same three questions. They are asked to rate, on a scale of 0-100, the chance that the participant will vote in the presidential election. They must then respond with the chance the participant will vote for Clinton, Trump or another candidate, as well as whether they believe that Clinton, Trump or another candidate will win.
The ball deflected off of an North Carolina State defender and trickled out of the penalty box. Then, freshman midfielder Amferny Sinclair collected the ball on his right boot and whistled a volley into the top left corner of the net. By the time NC State goalkeeper Vincent Durand could react, Sinclair was already racing towards the left corner flag in celebration. Sinclair’s first collegiate goal gave Syracuse (7-4-4, 2-3-2 Atlantic Coast) a 3-0 lead that they would not relinquish. It’s only the second time this season that No. 23 NC State (8-4-3, 3-3-1) has conceded three goals, the first being a 3-1 loss to No. 2 Wake Forest on Oct. 11. The Orange also outshot the Wolfpack 15-5. SU head coach Ian McIntyre was impressed with the Orange’s ball movement and pressure from start to finish, which fueled the strong offensive performance. “NC State is one of the teams I enjoy watching play,” McIntyre said. “The back three can really dominant a game. To disrupt them you have to work very hard.” The Orange took control of the tempo from the opening whistle, driving into NC State’s final third before committing a foul in the first minute. Junior Sondre Norheim had SU’s first legitimate scoring chance 10 minutes in, but he stumbled and whiffed on the shot.Four minutes later, sophomore Julio Fulcar drove towards the right corner flag before flipping his hips and crossing the ball right to the head of sophomore Ryan Raposo, but the team’s leading-scorer redirected the ball over the bar. AdvertisementThis is placeholder textLater in the half, Norheim had another opportunity, and this time he hit it cleanly – albeit over the bar and off the orange Syracuse-themed fencing surrounding the stadium. With under 10 minutes remaining in the half, McIntyre cycled in three pairs of fresh legs, including senior Severin Soerlie. Fifty seconds later, Soerlie was doing a somersault in jubilation after scoring the first goal of the match, putting SU ahead 1-0. The senior had slid and redirected a cross from fellow substitute Luther Archimede just inside the near post. It was his fourth of the year, this one coming on senior night. “I saw the defender was a little bit unsteady,” Soerlie said. “So I have to cut in front of him, I just have to jump in front of him and tap the ball in.” In the second half, NC State came out more aggressive, but McIntyre urged his team to settle down, yelling from the sideline: “Don’t let them back in the game.”“They were chasing the game and causing us some problems in picking up that second ball,” McIntyre said. The Orange rediscovered that crisp ball movement in second half courtesy of crisp one-two combination between Raposo and senior Massimo Ferrin. Raposo received a long ball and drove to the right of the goal, attracting a second defender. Right as he turned to shoot, he back-heeled the ball to Ferrin for a one-on-one with goalkeeper but this time Durand was up to the task. Raposo would get his revenge in the 62nd minute. He gathered a free kick with his left foot from sophomore Hilli Goldhar, turned and in one motion curled a shot over Durand’s outstretched arm, off the crossbar and in. “You can ask the guys, that’s my favorite type of shot,” Raposo said. “Every time in training I get the chance I’m practicing that shot.” Less than four minutes later, Sinclair netted what McIntyre called “a pile-driver of a goal.” His teammates mobbed the freshman by the corner flag as NC State players looked around in stunned disbelief, finding themselves down by three goals. “Things were just clicking today,” Raposo said, “The guys are really confident and happy and ready to move on to the next one.” Comments Published on October 26, 2019 at 11:52 pm Contact Tim: firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook Twitter Google+
The Boys in Green open their Euro 2016 qualifying campaign in Tblisi, with Georgia their opponents. Captain Robbie Keane says it’s important to make a positive start to a tough group. Kick off in the Dinamo stadium is at 5pm Irish time. Elsewhere in Group D this evening, Scotland are in Dortmund to face World Champions, Germany. Gibraltar’s first ever competitive international will be played on the Portuguese Alagarve, with Poland their opponents. Northern Ireland begin their Group E campaign away to Hungary.