Nova Scotia’s No. 2 Construction Battalion, the only predominantly African-Canadian battalion since Confederation, is this year’s centrepiece for African Heritage Month. The No. 2 Construction Battalion, also known as the Black Battalion, was created after the British Empire renewed its call for soldiers during the First World War. A separate battalion was the military’s response to black men who wanted to enlist but were turned away from recruiting offices. Lt.-Gov. J.J. Grant, Premier Stephen McNeil and African Nova Scotian Affairs Minister Tony Ince joined guests from across the province at Province House today, Jan. 27, to launch African Heritage Month 2016 in Nova Scotia. The theme is No. 2 Construction Battalion: the Legacy of Commitment – They Fought to Fight. “Despite the great prejudice that they faced, the brave men of the No. 2 Construction Battalion voluntarily stepped-up to fight for king and country,” said Lt.-Gov. Grant. “Their courage and legacy continue to inspire 100 years later and it is vital that all Nova Scotians know this history.” “African Heritage Month is a celebration of culture, history, longevity and progress,” said Premier McNeil. “This year’s theme of overcoming adversity to participate in the broader society resonates in all communities, but African Nova Scotians know it well.” The battalion was formed on July 5, 1916 in Pictou. Most of the more than 600 men accepted came from Nova Scotia, but others came from New Brunswick, Ontario, the West, the United States and the Caribbean. “African Nova Scotians, like the men of the No. 2 Construction Battalion, have fought the fight for generations,” said Mr. Ince. “Their determination to help defend a way of life still inspires us today.” “We are proud to help promote and preserve the legacy of the battalion,” said Russell Grosse, executive director of the Black Cultural Centre of Nova Scotia. “They are a symbol of commitment in the face of adversity for all Nova Scotians.” More information on African Heritage Month and a calendar of events can be found on the African Nova Scotian Affairs website, ansa.novascotia.ca . Nova Scotians can also keep up to date on African Heritage Month events on Facebook.com/AfricanNSAffairs and Twitter through @OfficeofANSA.
BURNABY, B.C. — The Telecommunications Workers Union, representing Telus and Shaw workers across Canada, is adding its voice to those opposed to any special treatment for Verizon to enter Canada’s wireless market.The union says there’s no guarantee of lower cellphone bills for Canadians and Verizon will operate in lucrative urban markets, ignoring rural communities.The Telecommunications Workers Union joins the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, the Canadian Council of Chief Executives, and the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada in calling on Ottawa to allow all wireless companies to operate on the same level playing field.Canada’s big wireless carriers, Telus, Rogers and Bell, have also launched a media blitz to warn that, under the current rules, they would be at a disadvantage if Verizon were allowed into the market.There have been reports that big U.S. carrier Verizon is considering buying Wind Mobile — and possibly struggling Mobilicity — as a way to enter the Canadian market.Those opposed say Verizon, which has about 100 million customer in the U.S., would gain an upper-hand in Canada’s wireless market through existing rules that would give it an unfair advantage in the upcoming wireless spectrum auction.So far the federal government isn’t budging on the current rules, saying more competition will benefit Canadians.
Sentry Investments to pay $1.5M to settle charges of improper sales practices by The Canadian Press Posted Apr 5, 2017 3:48 pm MDT Last Updated Apr 5, 2017 at 4:40 pm MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email TORONTO – Sentry Investments says it will pay a penalty of $1.5 million to the Ontario Securities Commission to settle allegations that it engaged in improper sales practices by giving extravagant gifts to dealers selling its financial products between 2011 and last year.The Toronto investment firm says it has also agreed to pay OSC investigation costs of $150,000 and replace CEO Sean Driscoll — in January, it appointed president and chief operating officer Philip Yuzpe in Driscoll’s place.The commission says Sentry gave “excessive non-monetary benefits” to dealing representatives at a mutual fund conference at a Beverly Hills mansion in 2015 — including dinner, an open bar, Dom Perignon, jewelry and free golf, adding up to more than US$1,000 per guest.Sentry was also accused of providing gifts such as concert and sporting event tickets, including Montreal Grand Prix Formula One race tickets, as well as birthday, Christmas and baby gifts, to top sellers of Sentry products.In a news release, Yuzpe says Sentry accepts full responsibility and has hired a consulting firm to review and recommend improvements to policies, practices and internal controls.The OSC says Driscoll agreed to pay Sentry $100,000 in a reparation payment, is prohibited from acting as a mutual fund company director or officer for a number of years and must take a course on regulatory compliance.“We have learned from this experience and our company will be better for it,” said Yuzpe in Sentry’s statement.