P W D L GF GA GD Pts1. Man City 9 7 0 2 24 8 16 212. Arsenal 9 6 1 2 16 7 9 193. Man United 9 6 1 2 15 8 7 194. West Ham 9 5 2 2 20 12 8 175. Leicester City 9 4 4 1 19 17 2 166. Crystal Palace 9 5 0 4 12 10 2 157. Tottenham 9 3 5 1 11 7 4 148. Southampton 9 3 4 2 15 12 3 139. Everton 9 3 4 2 12 11 1 1310. Liverpool 9 3 4 2 8 10 -2 1311. Stoke City 9 3 3 3 9 10 -1 1212. Chelsea 9 3 2 4 14 17 -3 1113. West Brom 9 3 2 4 7 11 -4 1114. Swansea City 9 2 4 3 10 11 -1 1015. Watford 9 2 4 3 6 10 -4 1016. Norwich City 9 2 3 4 14 20 -6 917. Bournemouth 9 2 2 5 11 17 -6 818. Newcastle 9 1 3 5 12 19 -7 619. Aston Villa 9 1 1 7 8 15 -7 420. Sunderland 9 0 3 6 8 19 -11 3
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The mid-January discovery of avian influenza in neighboring Indiana now leaves plenty of uncertainty about another poultry show ban for 2016.“At this point, we are encouraging the exhibitors who typically only take poultry projects, if they want to still take a livestock project, to consider signing to up take a hog, lamb or goat or something just because there is a chance that the Ohio Department of Agriculture could shut down poultry shows again. You may want to have a back-up plan. They may want to also sign up for rabbits because it is a later project and they can start later,” said Lucinda Miller, Extension specialist for the 4-H Youth Development Companion and Small Animal Programs. “If there is a ban again it will really hurt us. Exhibitors are discouraged already from a poultry show standpoint and an exhibition show standpoint. If they can’t do a poultry project again this year, many exhibitors are thinking about moving on to something more permanent.“Whether a ban on shows is put into place or not, there are options for a number of educational opportunities for poultry exhibitors.“We are putting together a teaching packet of ideas of non-live bird activities that have been done in some of the counties. Most counties did some pretty cool stuff last year,” Miller said. “We are going to have the Avian Bowl for the State Fair and we are going to re-institute the poultry judging contest this year.”
The Goa government is mulling a 50% subsidy on fish sold for household consumption. Goa Fisheries Minister Vinod Palyekar said on the sidelines of a public function here on Thursday that cheaper fish would be ordered from neighbouring States through a proposed fisheries corporation. The State will also put restrictions on export of fish from Goa to make it easily available in the local market.“We will import cheap fish from other States and give it to people at a cheaper rate. If a Kingfish costs ₹500 per kg, we will offer it at half the rate. A corporation will also be formed to sell the fish,” Mr. Palyekar said.He said increase in exports, rising demand from the hospitality industry and rising pollution and sea temperature had resulted in a decline in fish production in the waters off Goa. He said this drove the prices of locally consumed staple fish through the roof. Making subsidised fish available had been the poll plank of the Congress, the Aam Aadmi Party and the Goa Forward, to which Mr. Palyekar belongs to, during the Assembly polls this year. According to the State Fisheries Department, Goa’s fish catch is 1 lakh tonnes and more than one-third of it is exported every year. “We cannot allow excessive exports while locals cannot enjoy fish from their own waters,” Mr. Palyekar said.Mr. Palyekar on Thursday also promised to take up the controversial issue of bull trawling and LED fishing off its territorial waters with the Centre. The Minister ordered a crackdown on indiscriminate fishing using the two banned techniques. At a press conference held in the city, Mr. Palyekar said “clear instructions” had been given to the officials of the Fisheries Department to apprehend those involved in bull trawling and LED fishing within Goa’s territorial waters, up to 12 nautical miles off the coastline. “The measures are being taken to protect the interests of fishermen, who use traditional techniques for catching fish. Indiscriminate fishing techniques like bull trawling and LED fishing are rapidly eliminating fish swarms off Goa.”Locally known as ramponkars, Goa’s traditional fisherfolk have been demanding a ban on fishing with the help of LED lights, which attracts entire swarms of fish with the help of its powerful glow underwater. Environmental experts have time and again warned that the practice leading to indiscriminate fishing would eventually lead to a fish famine in the waters off Goa. State Fisheries have admitted on record in recent years that the fish catch in Goa has been virtually stagnant. Bull trawling is another indiscriminate practice, which is opposed by traditional fishermen, because it involves two trawlers fishing with a common net virtually dregding all fish in its path from the water surface to the bed, including young offspring, taking a toll on fish breeding.A few months back, the city witnessed a major agitation from traditional fisherfolk from across the State who threatened to surrender their fishing boats if the State failed to aggressively monitor these fishing practices and punish the erring vessels.Mr. Palyekar would soon visit New Delhi to meet the Union Minister for Agriculture to impress upon him the need to take strict action against bull-fishing and LED fishing beyond coastal States’ territorial waters. “I am going to request him to evolve a mechanism where fishermen using these techniques are punished. It is not a problem with Goa alone as bull trawling and LED fishing is a problem in other coastal States as well,” said Mr. Palyekar said.
“We’ll just take it one game at a time,” he said. “The most important thing is we know how to play in the playoffs. We just have to be in the right frame of mind and to really keep our focus every game from start to finish. We can’t afford to commit mistakes right now.” Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Tenorio poured in a game-high 27 points and had five rebounds and 11 assists and the Batangueño playmaker believes that wins like this one helps in building the team’s confidence moving forward.“It doesn’t matter who we face as long as we’re in playoff mode. It doesn’t matter if it’s the number one team or the last team. We really have to be playing our game, playing it the right away, and playing it on how we’re supposed to play the game as a team,” he said.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutAt 5-4, the Gin Kings are tied in fifth place with NLEX and will face Meralco and Rain or Shine in their remaining games in the elimination round.Tenorio, though, doesn’t want Ginebra to get too ahead of itself with the team still has a lot of work to do. Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles01:29Robredo to gov’t, after accepting anti drug post: Are you ready for me?00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH AFP official booed out of forum John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Read Next Lyceum, San Beda top groups as PCCL Final Four is set LATEST STORIES Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netLA Tenorio said that getting the twice-to-beat incentive in the quarterfinals is already the least of Ginebra’s concerns going into the homestretch of the 2018 PBA Philippine Cup.“We no longer think about that. Our target is to really win these last two games,” he said coming off its 93-78 victory over TNT on Sunday.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH MOST READ View comments
Boxer Manny Pacquiao (L) and coach Freddie Roach. TRISTAN TAMAYO/INQUIRER.netSenator and boxer Manny Pacquiao on Wednesday revealed that his promoter Bob Arum has not paid him and his trainer Freddie Roach for his welterweight bout with Australian boxer Jeff Horn last July 2.“I have no problem with Coach Freddie Roach. I’m not the one paying him, it’s Bob Arum. The trainer’s fee is automatically deducted by the Top Rank from my purse,” Pacquiao said in a statement.ADVERTISEMENT Lariba to undergo bone marrow transplant China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ View comments “So, if Coach Freddie has not yet received his payment, we are on the same boat. My purse has not yet been released by Arum,” Pacquiao said.The boxer-turned-politician made this statement after Roach lamented that Pacquiao has not spoken to him since the former’s controversial fight with Horn.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsPacquiao’s long-time trainer also said that he has not been paid after the boxing match in Brisbane.“I was trying to see where his head was at, and I could not even get him to say hi to me. I don’t know if he was upset with me or what,” Roach said in a Sports Illustrated report. LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend “I really don’t know if he’s mad at me. But I can tell you this: I haven’t been paid yet. So who knows?” Roach said.On Tuesday, the World Boxing Organization (WBO) upheld the victory of Horn after the Philippines’ Games and Amusement Board (GAB) called for a thorough review of the fight. JESports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. El Nido residents told to vacate beach homes Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucena
PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war LATEST STORIES Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting UAAP men’s volleyball: NU turns back La Salle, Adamson sweeps UE Showtime announced Tuesday that the episodes will premiere March 29 and April 5 on SHO Sports YouTube and Facebook pages. Shields and Hammer will fight for the undisputed middleweight championship on April 13, broadcast live on Showtime from Atlantic City, New Jersey.The episodes will show Shields preparing at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and Hammer training in Seefeld, Austria.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesUndefeated Shields (8-0, 2 KOs) and Hammer (24-0, 11 KOs) were supposed to fight on Nov. 17, but Hammer postponed it because of illness.Showtime Sports President Stephen Espinoza says the fight highlights “two of the elite athletes in boxing” in the network’s 10th women’s bout since 2017. That year, Shields became the first woman to headline a fight card on premium cable. Undefeated women’s middleweight world champion Claressa Shields, second from left, is handed one of her three title belts as prepares to pose with her world champion opponent Christina Hammer, far right, during a press conference to preview their upcoming fight, Tuesday Feb. 26, 2019, in New York. Shields and Hammer will showdown for the undisputed women’s middleweight world championship in a unification bout on Saturday, April 13 in Atlantic City, N.J. (AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews)NEW YORK — Claressa Shields is participating in another first for women’s boxing.The two-time Olympic gold medalist and Christina Hammer will be featured in “All Access” episodes on Showtime Sports’ social media platforms.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Urgent reply from Philippine football chief SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town View comments
The Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation and the Office of the Prime Minister Audrey Sewell last evening (October 3) convened a meeting with the management of China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC), the National Works Agency (NWA) and Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Labour and Social Security Collette Roberts Risden and her team.CHEC was represented by Chief Executive Officer Dr. Zhimin Hu and Head of NWA EG Hunter.The meeting was called to discuss the current work stoppage on the Mandela Highway Improvement Project under the Major Infrastructure Development Programme (MIDP).During the meeting, the Government officials noted that no formal complaint has been made to the Ministry of Labour of a dispute between the workers and CHEC. However, resolution of the matter is necessary in the national interest.In that regard, the Government officials requested information on rates paid to workers and whether CHEC is complying with industry standards.CHEC assured the meeting that rates are paid based on industry standards. The CHEC officials also noted that work on the Mandela Improvement Project continues even though approximately 20 drivers are not operating in a normal fashion.The management of CHEC assured the meeting that it will continue its work to ensure that the December deadline for the completion of the Mandela Highway project is met.The Government will continue to monitor the situation.
Jam Media/CON/LatinContent/Getty ImagesA rosca de reyes cake on display at a bakery in Mexico City. The cake is the signature dish of Three Kings Day celebrations in many parts of Latin America.On Jan. 6, many Christians around the world will celebrate Epiphany, or Three Kings Day — the day the three kings came to visit baby Jesus.In parts of Latin America, a big part of the holiday tradition is the rosca de reyes, or Three Kings cake.It’s a crown-shaped cake made of yeast-based bread that is very fluffy and airy once baked. The rosca is typically topped with candied fruits and bands of colorful, sugary paste. Inside there’s a little figurine of a baby, meant to represent Jesus, and whoever is served the piece with it inside has to throw a party on Feb. 2, dia de la Candelaria. When the rosca is served, it’s often dunked in a warm drink like hot chocolate or atole.“It’s a shared tradition,” says chef Pati Jinich, the host of PBS’s Pati’s Mexican Table. “All of the Latin American countries that were conquered by the Old World inherited this tradition.”While Latin America got the rosca from Spain, another version is served in France. In New Orleans, the similar King Cake is typically eaten during the Carnival season and at Mardi Gras.Jinich grew up in Mexico, where she says Three Kings Day celebrations are bigger than Christmas. “Everybody in Mexico eats roscas growing up — it’s a big deal!” she says.Rosca de reyes is becoming a bigger deal here in the U.S., too, says Jinich, as the Latin American population continues to grow. The diaspora has increased year over year and in 2016, it reached a new high of 58 million people.This means a growing demand for traditions from back home — like ordering roscas from your local Latino bakery.Ashley Westerman/NPRCarlos Benitez, owner of La Mexicana Bakery and Taqueria outside Washington, D.C., puts decorations on rosca de reyes before it goes into the oven. This year Benitez expects to sell almost 300 of the cakes.Carlos Benitez is the owner of La Mexicana Bakery and Taqueria in Alexandria, Va., just south of Washington, D.C. He and his wife, Alicia, opened their bakery in 2002 after moving from California. Benitez bakes a savory and only slightly sweet, aromatic version of the rosca topped with candied red and green cherries, figs and plums. Between the fruits are stripes of color made from a sugary paste. In contrast, the New Orleans King Cake is typically much sweeter and covered with purple, green and yellow icing rather than candied fruits.“The first time when we started making roscas over here, we just made 50 or 60, and year after year the amount of rosca we had to make [got] bigger,” says Benitez.This year the bakery is expecting to make around 250 to 300 roscas, he says, with more than just families purchasing them. Benitez says he’s had more orders come in from companies and schools as well. And he isn’t the only one. Many Latino bakeries we contacted around the Washington, D.C., region reported an increase in orders over the years.In Los Angeles, where approximately half the population is Latino, Tony Salazar, chef and V.P of production for Porto’s Bakery, says they plan to sell over 5,000 this year.“When we started [in the 1970s] we only sold 10 … and then, you know, 20 and 100,” he says. “It’s been a slow process, but we are really so happy that the popularity is growing and the recognition of this product is out there now. There’s people who don’t celebrate Three Kings Day who come and buy it, it’s so good, and they enjoy it.”In fact, Porto’s Bakery, along with other storied Latin American bakeries in the area, plan to unveil LA’s largest roscas de reyes Friday. They’ve teamed up with the California Milk Processor Board for the free event, which Salazar hopes will bring together not only Latin Americans across the LA region but also others who want to share in the tradition.Carlos Benitez of Virginia’s La Mexicana Bakery and Taqueria says spreading the rosca de reyes tradition beyond Latin American communities is a good thing.“I’m so happy that people don’t lose their traditions,” he says. “I think diversity of the cultures make this country great.”Copyright 2018 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/. Share