Tennis player James Blake arrives at City Hall in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File)NEW YORK (AP) — The police officer who tackled retired tennis player James Blake in a mistaken arrest outside a Manhattan hotel testified Tuesday that he and his family have been getting death threats since the 2015 incident.Officer James Frascatore was part of an undercover operation targeting credit card fraud and mistakenly thought Blake was one of the suspects. A security video captured Frascatore tackling and handcuffing Blake, who was let go after officers realized their mistake. The mayor and the former police commissioner publicly apologized to the ex-tennis star.In his second departmental trial connected in the incident, Frascatore said he was just following orders to arrest a man who looked like Blake. He said his career had been destroyed and described the upheaval it brought to his life and family.“The best way to describe it is hell,” he said. “I had death threats coming in to my children, my wife, myself. We had to move numerous times.”Frascatore also accused Blake of creating a “false narrative about an out-of-control cop.”“He’s part black and I’m white and it turned into a racial issue,” he said.Blake’s mother is white, and his father is black. Blake has said he thought the incident was mostly about excessive force, but also about how communities of color are generally treated.In closing remarks Tuesday, prosecutor Javier Seymour said Frascatore broke department rules.At Frascatore’s first departmental trial, police watchdog lawyers said he should lose 10 vacation days as punishment for excessive force, but the police commissioner overruled that recommendation and docked him five vacations days. Blake said the punishment was too light.The second trial was initiated by allegations that Frascatore participated in the investigation and leaked a longer videotape of the incident to the media.Frascatore denied telling anyone to leak the longer tape, saying his sister-in-law gave it out in an attempt to stop the death threats. He said he was “disgusted” the NYPD didn’t release the extended video which showed him shaking hands with Blake and apologizing after the false arrest.“It was very upsetting considering only part of it had been released,” he said.Frascatore’s lawyer, Peter Brill, said the NYPD overreacted to the incident.“The department reacts by placing too much blame. He was simply doing his job.”
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp TCI Police looking for candy & electricity thieves Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 08 Jan 2014 – Strong comments still coming in as residents express themselves on the cost of fuel and cost of electricity as the world continues to watch oil prices plummet to 2009 lows. One resident is calling for a consumer protection agency to be established, saying they believe the decreases on the power bills are not sufficient enough. Malike Cummings, the country’s Energy Commissioner disagrees pointing out that the fuel factor rate has steadily decreased month on month; he sent us a report where he demonstrates his tracking of the power company’s trends up to November 2014. There have been four consecutive months of decreases from August. Nonetheless, in a letter to Magnetic Media, the business owner charges that we have only seen one penny difference in electricity bill. Fortis TCI in response to our query on the matter says, that’s not accurate… “The Fuel Factor across FortisTCI service territory has fallen by an average of 14% since August 2014 … the Company’s Fuel Factor calculations are also checked and confirmed monthly by the Energy and Utilities Commissioner.” The Energy Commissioner told Magnetic Media that the fuel factor rate discounts show the per gallon decreases; and that there are 45 gallons per barrel. Well, Magnetic Media did the math and found that the difference is just slightly above one penny. For August the decreased fuel factor rate was .02447 and for November, the fuel factor rate was .02203. When you subtract the two and multiply it by 45 for the amount of gallons in each barrel; the figure is 0.1098; slighty above one cent. Rave Reviews for National Science Fair ideas FortisTCI reveals Education Week winners Related Items:energy and utilities commissioner, fortis tci, fuel factor, malike cummings, Oil prices
Airports Authority commanded to protect South Caicos airport by airline Domestic Airline Companies institute insecticide spraying to ward off Zika Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 11 Feb 2015 – No longer an air carrier with one pilot, one plane and the accountant who was also the baggage handler – all in the person of Lyndon Gardiner. Now, InterCaribbean airways has a fleet of 10 aircraft, 31 captains, first officers and flight attendants and 45 ground support and administrative staff in five Caribbean countries; namely: The Bahamas, Jamaica, Haiti, Dominican Republic and its hub in the Turks and Caicos.This is the report as the company celebrates 22 years in operation. General Manager of the once InterIsland… then Air Turks and Caicos and now InterCaribbean Airways said the company has marked some great moments over the two and some decades including being the first Turks & Caicos airline to operate its own equipment into the United States and Territories, being the first airline to be allowed to operate domestic flights in Jamaica in 50 years of Jamaican independence, being presented in 2014 the Invest Caribbean 2014 Visionary Award and now with launched flights between Kingston, Jamaica and Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic; Kingston, Jamaica and Port au Prince, Haiti and launched flights between Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic and San Juan, Puerto Rico. On the local scene, InterCaribbean has also upped flights into South Caicos to twice a day. Trevor Sadler said to celebrate the milestone, the company is offering a discount on air travel. A $22 voucher is available when you sign up for it online. You type in ’22YEARS’ – all caps and you have until this Friday February 13th to do it to capitalize on the anniversary savings. The company last month introduced a rewards program, called Cacique Rewards. Recommended for you Related Items:Intercaribbean Airways, lyndon gardiner, trevor sadler Turks and Caicos airline, ICA, now flies to Havana Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
https://twitter.com/Diddy/status/1104514384896843776 News P Diddy Hails Anniversary Of B.I.G.’s Death As “Biggie Day” Email Remembering B.I.G. and his legacy justifies at least one “Biggie Day” per year, but there’s competitionPhilip MerrillGRAMMYs Mar 11, 2019 – 3:15 pm The Notorious B.I.G. was born on May 21, 1972, in Brooklyn, and on March 9, 1997, the rapper was gunned down in his vehicle in Los Angeles, just over 22 years ago. On March 25, 1997, just over two weeks after his unsolved murder, B.I.G.’s sophomore album, Life After Death, was released to acclaim that never died. This past weekend, P Diddy claimed March 9 as “Biggie Day,” a fitting time to recall the rapper’s loss and legacy.”There will NEVER be another,” Diddy posted to Twitter on March 9. “The GREATEST RAPPER OF ALL TIME. Today we celebrate and honor you king. Love and miss you!!!!!!!!! Happy Biggie Day!”While there will never be another B.I.G., on his birthday, May 21, 2016, there was another “Biggie Day” in Brooklyn. How can there be two? Well he was just that “B.I.G.” The music he made by the end of his life at 24 years of age has grown in stature and the places Biggie frequented as a youth are now mandatory visits for Brooklyn-rap tourists. P Diddy Hails March 9 Anniversary As “Biggie Day” p-diddy-hails-anniversary-bigs-death-biggie-day Facebook P Diddy emerged to national attention as a rapper himself in the aftermath of Biggie’s passing. Already respected as a record executive and producer, summer of 1997 was the release of his debut album No Way Out as Puff Daddy & The Family. The 40th GRAMMY Awards in 1998 were a coming of age for both Diddy and rap itself. Will Smith won Best Rap Solo Performance for “Men In Black” and dedicated his win to the memories of the Notorious B.I.G. and Tupac Shakur. Diddy’s No Way Out won Best Rap Album that year and its single “I’ll Be Missing You,” with Faith Evans also featuring 112, won Best Rap Performance by A Duo Or Group.In our 2017 interview with 112, the group wanted readers to know that Bad Boy Records had been a supportive family in fact, not in name only. They recalled Biggie helping them out personally. “He used to give us money to make sure we had food to eat,” said Quinnes “Q” Parker. Many rap listeners feel a different gratitude, no less deep, for the tracks B.I.G. left behind as his legacy for all of us.NYC Council Approves Wu-Tang Clan And Notorious B.I.G. Street NamesRead more Twitter
Representational image of theft.PixabayA software engineer working in Bengaluru was brutally stabbed multiple times by four bike-borne assailants near the city suburbs while committing robbery on Tuesday (May 14).A 34-year-old Kinkar Kumar Thakur was attacked by the miscreants near the Laksmikanta temple in Attibele as he returning from work and was waiting for an auto rickshaw to ride back home. The victim was robbed of his gold ornaments, wallet and ATM cards.According to the police, the assailants forcefully took Thakur on their bike to an isolated area and assaulted him. They stabbed the victim on his head, hand, thigh and other parts of the body. Following which they took his wallet and pieces of jewellery.According to the reports, the quartet took the victim, who was bleeding excessively after the attack to a nearby ATM to loot him of the money, but the kiosk was out of cash. Fearing the situation going out of control and gaining attention by the people the gang quickly changed Thakur’s blood-soaked shirt and made him wear another one.The criminals then took him to an isolated road near Anekal and dumped him there. The injured Thakur somehow found the strength to go back to his flat in Janadhar Shobha Apartment complex in Attibele. After seeing him severely injured his neighbours quickly took him to the hospital.The police have registered a case under IPC section 394 (voluntarily causing hurt in committing robbery) against the four unidentified miscreants who attacked Thakur after receiving a memo from the hospital on the medico-legal case.The police said that they will nab the criminals soon as they have taken the surveillance footage of the ATM and have clues about the gang. The police have also taken the victims statement on Thursday.
Travis BubenikHouston police officers. Listen The city of Houston will spend an extra $1.5 million on police overtime in response to Saturday’s mass shooting in El Paso.Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said he’s working with Police Chief Art Acevedo on a plan to put more officers on the streets. “We want to assure people in the city of Houston that we want to be proactive,” Turner said. “We want to make sure that we have the necessary resources and manpower that are out there in our streets and our neighborhoods to help to keep the public safe.” The alleged shooter in El Paso posted a manifesto before the incident showing he was motivated by anti-Latino racism. Turner said that’s one reason behind the extra police presence.“For people who are immigrants, that are in our city and they’re very nervous, it’s important to know that we are enhancing our presence to protect them,” Turner said.Chief Acevedo declined to give details about the additional overtime, saying it’s part of a tactical plan.Both the mayor and the police chief asked residents to report any suspicious behavior. To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Share 00:00 /00:46 X
Free Workshop | August 28: Get Better Engagement and Build Trust With Customers Now This hands-on workshop will give you the tools to authentically connect with an increasingly skeptical online audience. 4 min read Technology giant Apple is looking beyond mobile devices to learn how to make a self-driving electric car, and is talking to experts at carmakers and automotive suppliers, a senior auto industry source familiar with the discussions said on Saturday.The Cupertino, California-based maker of phones, computers and, soon, watches is exploring how to make an entire vehicle, not just designing automotive software or individual components, the auto industry source said.”They don’t appear to want a lot of help from carmakers,” said the source, who declined to be named.Apple is gathering advice on parts and production methods, focusing on electric and connected-car technologies, while studying the potential for automated driving, the source said.”Fully automated driving is an evolution. Carmakers will slowly build the market for autonomous cars by first releasing connected and partially automated cars,” the auto industry source said. “Apple is interested in all the potential ways you can evolve the car; that includes autonomous driving.”Whether it will build and release an electric car or a more evolved autonomous vehicle remains to be seen, the source said.But clearly Apple has sharply raised its ambitions in automotive technology. Car technology has become a prime area of interest for Silicon Valley companies ranging from Google Inc, which has built a prototype self-driving car, to electric car-maker Tesla Motors Inc.An Apple spokesman in London on Saturday declined to comment on “rumors or speculation”.Trying to build an actual car would mark a dramatic shift for the maker of the iPhone and iPad. Apple often researches projects which are then discarded, but has so far mainly stuck to its core expertise in mobile and electronic devices.The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday that Apple had set up a secret lab working on the creation of an Apple-branded electric car, citing people familiar with the matter. The lab was set up late last year, soon after Apple revealed its forthcoming smart watch and latest iPhones, the Financial Times said.The Journal said that the Apple project, code-named “Titan”, employed several hundred people working a few miles from Apple’s headquarters in Cupertino.Apple executives met with contract manufacturers including Magna Steyr in Austria, a unit of Magna International, the Journal said. A Magna spokeswoman declined to comment.The Path to Self-Driving CarsAutonomous driving is likely to emerge progressively as driver assistance systems become more sophisticated.Already, carmakers such as Daimler, BMW and Volkswagen’s Audi have revealed cars that can travel long distances without human intervention.Analysts at Exane BNP Paribas have said they see a $25 billion market for automated driving technology by 2020, with vehicle intelligence becoming “the key differentiating factor”. But the brokerage does not expect fully automated cars to hit the road until 2025 or 2030, in part due to regulatory hurdles.Short of building entire cars, there is money to be made from the software to run a self-driving vehicle, as well as the services associated with autonomous driving, such as mapping, car-sharing and car recharging services, the auto source said.”It’s a software game. It’s all about autonomous driving,” the industry source said.Apple may be pursuing mainly auto industry expertise rather than full-scale partnerships with established car companies.With its soon-to-be-launched Apple Watch, the company had held limited discussions with Swiss watchmakers, but no broad-based alliance emerged from the talks.Instead of partnerships, Apple pursued a go-it-alone strategy and turned to poaching talent from top watch brands.Two different sources have told Reuters that Apple has tried to recruit auto industry experts in areas such as robotics.(Additional reporting by Eric Auchard in Frankfurt; Editing by Noah Barkin/Hugh Lawson) February 16, 2015 This story originally appeared on Reuters Enroll Now for Free