MIAMI, United States (CMC): Jamaica’s Reggae Boyz are set to leave Miami today for Chicago to begin what is expected to be a difficult campaign in Group C of the historic Copa Centenario on Sunday. All but two members of the squad assembled in Florida for a short camp, following their 2-1 victory over Chile last Friday in Vina del Mar, and have been undergoing final preparation for the June 3-26 showpiece in the United States. Captain Rodolph Austin, who plays his football in Denmark, joined the squad on Monday, while defender Wes Morgan is set to link up with the contingent in Chicago today. Morgan recently captained Leicester City to their historic capture of the English Premiership title. On Monday, Jamaica further enhanced their match preparation with a 2-0 victory over American Premier Soccer League side, Boca Raton FC, at the Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale. England-based Joel (Jobi) McAnuff and Dever Orgill, who plays in Finland, both scored in the game where most of the squad got time on the pitch. Since then, the squad members have gone through their medicals and light pool sessions. Jamaica, who qualified for the Copa Centenario by virtue of being the reigning Caribbean Cup champions, will be hoping to build on their performance in last year’s CONCACAF Gold Cup when they reached the final of that tournament. They played unbeaten in the preliminaries before edging Haiti in the quarter-finals, shocking the United States in the semi-finals and clinching a spot in the final against Mexico, where they eventually lost. Jamaica open their Copa campaign against Venezuela at Soldier Field on Sunday, then follow up against Mexico on June 9 at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California, before closing out against Uruguay at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara. The Reggae Boyz contested last year’s Copa in Chile, losing all three of their preliminary games 1-0 against Paraguay, Uruguay and Argentina.
Born in Mexico and raised near his alma mater, Uribe served in the Clinton administration as an assistant to then-Attorney General Janet Reno. He then became a deputy to Rep. Xavier Becerra, D-Los Angeles, before joining Verizon in 1997. He currently serves as its lobbyist for local and state government. “He’s very sharp, very well-connected,” said Roberto Barragan, president of VEDC. “He’ll help us build our organization, to become bigger and more professional.” In 2006, the organization served 5,000 businesses, facilitating $20 million in lending and creating 600 jobs. With 45 percent of its clientele already coming from minority communities, Barragan said Uribe would help broaden the organization’s outreach. Though his experience in the corporate, political and academic worlds – Uribe also earned an MBA from Pepperdine University – takes him into different realms from the typical small-business owner, the new chairman pledged to continue VEDC’s push to assist companies in disadvantaged neighborhoods. “My background will come into play – I can connect with communities like Pacoima,” he said. “I see the value these businesses bring to our economy. They’re a great way for recent immigrants to become part of the fabric of our country.” firstname.lastname@example.org 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Francisco Uribe, who grew up the son of a factory laborer and worked his way into the Clinton White House, will now take the reins of the Valley Economic Development Center. The Van Nuys-based private, nonprofit business assistance group recently elected Uribe to become its chairman. When he takes office Sunday, he will become the first Latino to head any of the San Fernando Valley’s major business groups. Uribe, a University of Southern California graduate, believes his background will be an asset when reaching out to the increasingly diverse Valley businesses. “The Latino community doesn’t aspire to anything drastically different – they want to thrive, to have good schools, the same things as any other business,” he said. “But it may make them feel more comfortable to deal with someone who looks like them.”
0Shares0000Lacazette completes Arsenal move.PHOTO/Sky SportsLONDON, United Kingdom, Jul 5 – Arsenal have completed the signing of France striker Alexandre Lacazette from Lyon for a club record Sh6.2 b (£46.5m) fee on a five-year deal.The fee – up to £52.6m with add-ons – will surpass the £42.4m Arsenal paid Real Madrid for Mesut Ozil in 2013. “He has very interesting technical qualities and a strong character,” said Gunners manager Arsene Wenger.The 26-year-old is expected to travel with the squad this weekend for two friendly matches in Sydney next week.Those games will be followed by a match against Bayern Munich in Shanghai the following week.Lacazette, who has won 11 caps for France, was the second-highest scorer in Ligue 1 last season with 28 goals. He netted 129 goals in 275 matches in all competitions for Lyon after breaking into the first team in the 2009-10 campaign.His league tally last season was bettered by only Paris St-Germain’s Edinson Cavani, with 35.Wenger added: “We are very happy to have Alexandre join our group. He has shown over a number of years that he can score goals and that he is a very efficient finisher.“So he is a guy who is a great addition for us, and someone who will help us challenge at the top level this season.”Lacazette has been linked with several top clubs and looked set to join Atletico Madrid before their transfer ban was upheld by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.Last week Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis promised fans “top-quality” summer signings during a question-and-answer session.Left-back Sead Kolasinac, who joined from Schalke, is Arsenal’s other recruit since the end of last season.-By BBC-0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)