Great public memorials are both a remembrance and a tribute to the triumph of the human spirit. The National Memorial for Peace and Justice, which recently opened in Montgomery, Ala., is a good example. It remembers the thousands of victims of lynching, conveys the horror and injustice, and invokes not only an appropriate reaction and understanding, but does so in a way that is uplifting and inspirational. Like the Vietnam Memorial, it draws people to it and portrays the atrocity while teaching: “never again.” I’m a supporter of a Holocaust memorial in Niskayuna. I believe it’s appropriate and necessary. But I find the proposed design concept opaque and cold. I think it can be better. I sincerely hope the planners rethink the artistic vision and incorporate elements that also commemorate the triumph of the Jewish people over hate.Melinda PerrinNiskayunaMore from The Daily Gazette:Puccioni’s two goals help Niskayuna boys’ soccer top Shaker, remain perfectFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the census Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion
Read also: BI to dominate ownership of ‘pandemic bonds’ as debt burden grows“Another factor is that the economic growth level will be lower than the country’s production capacity, resulting in a low level of demand.”Perry said the central bank saw little impact from the weakened rupiah on annual inflation, adding that inflation expectations remained well-anchored following BI’s monetary operations.In March, several commodities prices in the personal care and food and beverage expenditure groups rose, Bank Mandiri chief economist Andry Asmoro wrote in a recent research note.Read also: Panic buying hurts consumption growth in the long run, analysts say“The inflation was related to COVID-19 as the outbreak increased demand for hygiene products and online orders of food and beverages due to the social distancing policy,” Andry said. Bank Mandiri estimated this year’s inflation would reach 3.25 percent.“This relatively higher inflation forecast compared to the 2019 realization of 2.72 percent is caused by a higher risk of volatile inflation, particularly food inflation due to the COVID-19 outbreak, which has limited the food supply.”Topics : Bank Indonesia (BI) expects the April inflation rate to drop to 2.8 percent year-on-year (yoy), from 2.9 percent in March, as a result of sufficient food supplies and weak demand, the central bank governor says.BI Governor Perry Warjiyo said the central bank’s survey estimated 0.2 percent month-to-month (mtm) inflation in April, while yoy inflation would stand at 2.8 percent. The rate is consistent with BI’s inflation target range of 2 to 4 percent this year.“Factors that affect inflation remain under control as the central government and regional administrations work hand in hand to ensure the availability of the food supply,” Perry told reporters during a media briefing on Thursday.
The real reason Arsenal captain Laurent Koscielny went on strike Arsenal captain Laurent Koscielny has refused to take part on the club’s pre-season tour of America (Picture: Getty)Arsenal captain Laurent Koscielny went on strike in the belief the club had priced him out of a potential return to France.The 33-year-old stunned Unai Emery when he informed the Spaniard he was refusing to take part in the club’s pre-season tour of America having reported for training earlier this week.Emery reacted furiously and immediately informed Arsenal’s head of football Raul Sanllehi, who sanctioned the decision to publish a statement condemning Koscielny’s actions.It read: ‘Laurent Koscielny has refused to travel to the US for our pre-season tour.ADVERTISEMENT Advertisement SPONSORED Read More More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘We are very disappointed by Laurent’s actions, which are against our clear instructions.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘We hope to resolve this matter and will not be providing any further comment at this time.’Arsenal subsequently flew to the States without their long-serving centre-half who will now train with the Under-23s while a resolution is sought.Koscielny, who has 12 months left on his current deal, wants to return to France after nine years in north London, amid interest from the likes of Lyon and Bordeuax.ESPNFC claim Arsenal want £10m for their want-away skipper, a fee which is likely to put off Koscielny’s suitors given he turns 34 in September and only recovered from a career threatening Achilles injury, which kept him out for eight months, back in December.The former Lorient defender is also said to feel his playing schedule was mismanaged following the injury he suffered during the 2018 Europa League semi final second leg against Atletico Madrid, and is dismayed at the direction in which the club is headed.Arsenal have signed only Brazilian teenager Gabriel Martinelli so far this summer and risk losing long-term target William Saliba after Tottenham made a late attempt to hijack a deal that was on the verge of completion.A move for Celtic left-back Kieran Tierney also appears to have stalled, while attempts to prise Wilfried Zaha from Crystal Palace have failed after a £40m opening offer was rejected, while the Eagles are not interested in any of the players Arsenal were willing to offer up in part exchange.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal by Metro / Coming Next Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 13 Jul 2019 1:37 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link24Shares About Connatix V67539 Visit Advertiser website GO TO PAGE Video Settings Read More PLAY 1 min. story Skip Comment Advertisement Manchester United captain Harry Maguire Read More Top articles Full Screen Read More Skip Ad Read More Rio Ferdinand tells Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop struggling 1/1
Robin van Persie picks Sir Alex Ferguson ahead of Arsene Wenger as the best manager he’s worked with Robin van Persie won the Premier League title in Sir Alex Ferguson’s final season at Manchester United (Getty Images)‘It was so brilliant how he always kept the entire squad happy and focussed.‘Wenger was a combination of Ferguson and Van Gaal.‘Arsene always emphasised all the positive things and he looked at what would work for the long term.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘Tactically he [Van Gaal] is a genius. You can’t deny that. ‘I have had managers who had their own strengths.‘But Ferguson really was a super manager.’Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. For more stories like this, check our sport page. Metro Sport ReporterSunday 24 May 2020 10:17 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link4.8kShares Advertisement Advertisement Comment Robin van Persie has hailed Sir Alex Ferguson as a ‘super manager’ (Getty Images)Former Arsenal and Manchester United striker Robin van Persie has hailed Sir Alex Ferguson as the best manager he’s worked with ahead of Arsene Wenger and Louis van Gaal.Van Persie joined Arsenal at the age of 20 in a £3 million deal from Feyenoord in 2004 and spent eight years under Wenger before he left to move to Manchester United in 2012.The Dutch striker spent just one season under Ferguson at Old Trafford but played a key role in helping United win the Premier League title in the Scot’s final season in charge.Van Persie also worked under Van Gaal with the Netherlands national team and at United, although he has revealed that the 68-year-old was ‘ruthless’ in the way he got rid of him at United.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘Ferguson really was a super manager,’ Van Persie wrote in the book ‘LVG – The Manager and the Total Person’.
It explained its decision in terms of the difficulty and cost PSAs would incur in sourcing cash for central clearing while central counterparties work to find alternative solutions for pension funds.“Since PSAs hold neither significant amounts of cash nor highly liquid assets,” the Commission said, “imposing central-clearing requirements on them would require very far-reaching and costly changes to their business model, which could ultimately affect pensioners’ income.”The Commission had in late November flagged a possible further extension of the EMIR clearing obligation for pension funds.It also said it would consider permanently freeing them from this obligation and that it would look into this as part of a targeted review of EMIR in early 2017.In other EU regulatory news, the revised occupational pensions directive, IORP II, will come into force next Wednesday, 12 January.Member states have two years from this date to transpose the legislation, which was passed by the European Parliament on 24 November. The European Commission has extended by one year the temporary exemption from central clearing for pension schemes under EMIR.The current exception runs until August 2017 and is due to run until 16 August 2018 after the Commission adopted a Delegated Regulation amending EMIR, the regulation containing the clearing requirement for over-the-counter derivatives, on 20 December.The Delegated Regulation moves to the Council of the EU and the European Parliament for consideration.The December decision is the second time the Commission has used its power under EMIR to extend the temporary clearing exemption for pension scheme arrangements (PSAs).
“So mga kababayan ko ginusto ko man — ako, ako mismo personal gusto ko nang lumabas. Ayaw ko nang magpapigil. But we have to be very circumspect in reopening of the economy. Dahan-dahan lang,” Duterte said. MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte prefers a more cautious approach in reopening the Philippine economy as the confirmed cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) continues to rise. “Because if you open the entire Philippines and thousands upon thousands of new cases would happen, then we are in deep shit. Talagang mahirapan tayo. Unang-una wala tayong pera,” he added. President Rodrigo Duterte says the Philippines needs to be cautious in reviving the economy as it cannot afford a second wave of COVID-19 infections. Photo shows bustling Metro Manila dealing with limited public transportation under the general community quarantine. RAPPLER The President mentioned China, Japan, South Korea, and the United States, which reopened their economy but are now experiencing another wave of COVID-19 cases. “Now what really happened in these countries was that although they opened their economy for money to come in to the government coffers, what happened is there was a spike. They were having a problem of almost a relapse, like relapse in the totality of the number. That is the hard consequence of it,” said Duterte. In his address to the public aired past midnight on Wednesday, Duterte said the country needs to be cautious in reviving its economy as it cannot afford a second wave of COVID-19 infections. Based on the latest data from the Department of Health, the country now has 47,873 confirmed COVID-19 cases along with 1,309 deaths and 12,386 recoveries./PN
ORVC Weekly Report for April 18-23.Players of the Week.Baseball: Brent Turner – Rising SunSoftball: Tiffany Vinup – Rising SunBoys Golf: Drew Honnert – MilanGirls Track: Megan Cole – South Ripley and Lucy Carrigan – Rising SunBoys Track: Luke Welch – South Ripley and Zach Martini – Rising SunORVC Report (April 18-23)Courtesy of ORVC Recorder Travis Calvert.
OA Students enjoy retreat at St. BonaventureOldenburg, In. — Oldenburg Academy, a Franciscan Catholic high school in southeastern Indiana, was able to provide students with the opportunity to deepen and strengthen their faith. Through the collaboration of other regional Franciscan high schools, students were given the opportunity to expand their spiritual journey. Recently, OA students joined forces with students from Roger Bacon (Cincinnati) and Padua (Parma, OH) High Schools on a retreat sponsored by St. Bonaventure University where they explored themes integral to the Franciscan intellectual tradition. It was such a positive experience for all involved that plans are underway for this to be an annual event.For the second year in a row, OA and Roger Bacon students and staff embarked on a pilgrimage to the sacred Franciscan sites in Rome and Assisi as part of an Assisi Scholars program. The following are a few reflections from students on this life changing experience for all:Stoll, Ellie Helie, Delaney Bruns and Sam Hubert all pose in Italy.Sam Hubert ‘18- “Seeing all of the holy sites, and all of the people visiting them, really showed how unified the Catholic faith really is.”Rachel Stoll ‘18- “The pilgrimage to Rome and Assisi was a once in a lifetime experience that allowed me to see the universality of the Catholic Church and to understand what it means to be Franciscan. Learning about the lives of St. Francis and St. Clare has inspired me to be more attentive and open to God’s voice in my life.”OA Students and Roger Bacon students togetherDelaney Bruns ‘18 – “This trip was an amazing opportunity that I will forever be grateful for. A big take-a-way for me was realizing that we actually had Mass in front of St. Francis’s tomb, which made the experience even more valuable.”Oldenburg Academy will continue to partner with other regional Catholic high schools continuing to inspire students. For more information, please contact President Diane Laake at email@example.com
Barcelona defender Gerard Pique believes it is right that La Liga try to conclude the 2019/20 season even if it means fans cannot attend matches. Spanish football has been suspended indefinitely since the middle of March but last week there was mass testing for coronavirus across the 42 member clubs of La Liga. Loading… Promoted Content11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table Top7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend BetterTake A Look At The Celebs Who Lost Their Money And WhyYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimeWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoo8 Things You Didn’t Know About Coffee13 kids at weddings who just don’t give a hootA Guy Turns Gray Walls And Simple Bricks Into Works Of ArtCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayInsane 3D Spraying Skills Turn In Incredible Street ArtBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made The former Spain international has said that despite his team leading the way with 11 rounds of action remaining – holding a slender two-point advantage over Real Madrid – it would be ‘ugly’ to not play out the remaining fixtures.Advertisement That preceded a return to individualised training with the Blaugrana’s players back at the club’s facilities on Friday with none of the players nor staff having a positive test for the virus.“I understand La Liga’s [desire] to try and finish the season because there is a lot at play,” Pique told Movistar, as cited by ESPN. “We don’t like playing without supporters, but ending the campaign without playing any more games, even though we are top, would be ugly. It makes sense what La Liga are doing.“But we have been stopped for a long time now without being able to play friendlies. And with just one month of training, I would tell [La Liga] it wouldn’t be a bad thing to give us a few more days to avoid injuries and ensure we’re better prepared.”Read Also: Messi donates €500k towards the fight against COVID-19Tebas insisted on Movistar, as cited by Marca, that whilst the league will continue to adhere to advice from Spanish health authorities, they remain confident that there is a minimal risk of staging the remainder of the games.Diario AS have built upon an initial report from Cadena Ser that the league plan to get the campaign back underway with a Seville derby on 12 June and that there is a plan to complete the league fixtures by July with fixtures on every day.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享
Students have reacted favorably to plans to refurbish and add to McDonald’s Swim Stadium, which has not been renovated since it was built for the 1984 Olympics.Athletic Director Pat Haden announced the redesign on Feb. 17 and shortly after, the Athletic Department released preliminary renderings of the project.Construction is scheduled to begin in January 2013 and finish by April 2014. The renovation will cost between $15 million and $18 million, said Ron Orr, senior associate athletic director. At this time, the university has not chosen a contractor for development.Water works · Renovations to McDonald’s Swim Stadium, expected to be completed by April 2014, will include a new sundeck and stands. – Photo courtesy of USC AthleticsThe renovation will include new locker rooms for the water polo, swimming and diving teams. There will also be a contemporary sundeck overlooking the pools and covered stands on both sides of the stadium.Tim Tessalone, sports information director, said the renovations to the stadium will better reflect the accomplishments and skills of USC athletics.“We have so many high-caliber Olympic-level swimmers and water polo players who compete there now,” Tessalone said. “A facility on par with their abilities, [one] that helps them reach their goal. is critical.”Deidre Yiu, a freshman majoring in business administration, said that the redesign is long overdue.“I never go swimming at USC because the facilities are so run-down,” Yiu said. “I’ll definitely go more after they remodel [the stadium].”Kristi Hupka, a freshman majoring in industrial and systems engineering, said the addition of a sundeck will make the aquatic center more inviting.“The stadium needs to be a less intimidating place to hang out,” Hupka said. “I feel like I can never go in there because of swim team or water polo practices. I’m excited that they’re planning to make the facilities more accessible to non-athletes.”Ashley Barlow, a freshman majoring in fine arts, said that redesigning the stadium will convince more students to support athletic teams.“I live in Fluor Tower, right next to [the stadium], but I never go to the games because the bleachers are old and dirty,” Barlow said. “If there were nicer bleachers and places for students to hang out, I would have gone to a lot more of the water polo games and I’m sure that my friends would have too.”The decision to redesign the stadium was spurred in part by a gift to the athletic department from an undisclosed donor. The gift was specifically allocated to fund the renovation of the aquatics center, although additional funds are being raised to complete it.